Monsters Stick Together

Dylan was having a pretty rough time. He knew as soon as the sun rose he would forced back to change back into a hideous wolf-man. The fact he had just humiliated himself in front of people who he would probably have get to know in order to be socially acceptable was frustrating. He respected Theo though, that guy was obviously knew what he was doing, he appreciated the fact that he didn't ask questions when Dylan was trying to spare himself more misery.

    He slipped out of the tent quietly, and let himself out of the wooden fortress. He walked around the edge of the island for a bit, before finding a rock to sit on and ponder what exactly had just gone down in the last few hours.

Genny was trying to be nice to him. He could tell, he could also tell she cared very deeply about Will, who could barely walk thanks to him. He laugh dryly as he remembered an old fairy tale his mother used to tell to him. Swan Lake, the story of Odette, a girl who was in love with a prince, but she was cursed to become a swan by day, only human by night. He wondered if Genny could ever grow to love a boy who was a wolf by day. He heart ached every time he saw her. Hurting Will had made it almost impossible for anyone to like him though, all because of his stupid uncle.

    He remembered the guy. His uncle was working with whoever these Lab people were. It had taken a few minutes for Dylan to recognize him, his uncle had only showed up at his last birthday. He hadn't even known his fatherhood a brother until then. Not that he cared particularly, but something had creeped him out about the man showing up to a seventeen year-old's birthday party, and his father had been rather reluctant to introduce him until Dylan asked. He also learned the he was a biologist, and studied genetic diseases in canines, which made sense now of course. Dylan scowled bitterly at the thought.

    He still had no idea if his father would have taken him back or not. He remembered the deal, take your freakish son back for free or sell him into genetic research. He knew this was actually legal, seeing how none of the people in this entire camp were humans. It was sick and twisted, but legal in these times.

    "Hey there." Someone spoke up behind him, softly and quietly.

    Dylan jumped and turned around to see Iceland, her dark black eyes staring at him intently.

"Hey." He replied awkwardly, scooting over on the rock as she sat down next to him. "What are doing out here this early?"

"Waiting for Azmus to show up, you?" She took off her boots and trailed her feet in the water.

"I don't know, just thinking about my family." He answered. "Don't big fish live in rivers? Like ones that will bite toes?"

She laughed. "Not since Azmus joined us, you'll see, he'll be here in a few minutes."

He decided to just wait and trust here. There were a lot of strange kids here. They kind of sat there together awkwardly in peaceful silence. It was starting to get a little lighter on the horizon, he wanted to leave soon.

"Do you think about your family often?" Icie asked, trying to make small talk.

"Yeah, kinda."

She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye. "What's it like?"

"What's what like?" He asked.

She looked down at the water. "A family, what's your dad like?"

Dylan's skin prickled uneasily. "Yeah, he's a bit strict. I don't see him very often. He's not really the lovey dovey type." He doesn't pay attention to me at all.