Broken Feathers

The Beast stared coldly at them from across the room. Tui grabbed Josie's hand and pushed her behind her, Will tried to get in front of Genny but she batted him away.

    "Dylan?" She called, her voice shaky.

    The wolf-like creature growled low and deep. It reverberated around room and struck fear in them. He was huge, with dark grey fur and yellow eyes that would have been terrifying if this had been complete darkness. There were two dark red streaks of fur going from his eyes and down his back. He was barely human anymore, standing on two legs was a struggle, he hunched over and his long foreclaws scraped against the ground.

    "Genny." Will warned when she started walking towards the creature.

    "I don't know what they did to you." Genny spoke calmly. "But it's gonna be okay Dylan."

    She wished she could touch him, she wished she could read his emotions and find out what was going on in his head. But she wasn't close enough.

    "Will, what's going on in his mind?" She asked.

    Will closed his eyes and concentrated. It has been a while since he had done this, and when he opened up his senses, everyone's thoughts came pouring out. He took a deep breath, trying to sort through the many voices and pick out a masculine one.

    "He's scared, and confused, wait...... Yes I can read minds." He explained, Dylan growled again.

    All of a sudden Dylan winced, and straightened, his pupils growing larger and larger. Then he looked like a true animal.

    He snarled and lunged at Genny, who sidestepped, but he caught her arm out of surprise and left a long scratch that started bleeding instantly.

    "Genny!" Will shrieked, flaring his wings. Dylan whipped around and turned on Will instantly. Dylan swiped at Will with his clumsily arms, Will ducked and made three concise punches to his gut. Dylan grunted and back up, all of a sudden Genny was at his side.

    "Nice." She commented.

    "You taught me that one." He grinned.

    "I know."

    Before Dylan could launch his second attack, a wall slid open.

    "Go!" Genny commanded, Tui picked up Josie and ran for the door, her dark curls disappearing through the door. Will caught Josie's eyes before they disappeared, she was staring at him in horror.

    "Don't hurt him!" Genny commanded. "Something happened and he's no longer in his right mind."

    "Yeah, he turned into a giant wolf." Will shot back, pulling her through the door.

    Then he turned around and cursed.

    They were in a maze. A tall maze that stretched to the ceiling. Will wouldn't be able fly above it.

    "It's always a freaking maze." He grumbled.

    "Will, hear me out. He was in control when he first transformed, something happened in the last few seconds that made him attack us." Genny explained, as they ran along the hallways.

    "You think the Lab made him attack us." It wasn't a question.

    "I know they did, it be just like their twisted minds to come with something like that." She hissed.

    They stopped for a moment to catch their breath. Then a low deep howl echoed through the halls. It set their nerves on end. Dylan could jump out at them from anywhere, they wouldn't be so lucky with his claws this time.