I Sneak Out of School

Now I was lying in the infirmary. My leg had been burned badly and was now wrapped neatly in comfortable white cloth while I drooled in front of a small TV. It only played old movies like Star Wars VII, Age of Ultron, and X-men Apocalypse. But it was better than nothing.

Uncle Rich had gone absolutely ballistic. There was at least one nurse posted around my room twenty-four seven, and he had doubled the security. Not to mention he kept checking up on me every five seconds.

    "Justin?" He poked his head through the door.

    "Still here." I assured.

    "Good, watcha doing?"

    "Watching old movies." I replied.

    "Okay, well, don't stay up to late."

    "Goodnight again." I waved my hand wearily and watched him close the door.

Then I banged my head against the large fluffy pillows and screamed softly. Don,'t get me wrong, I loved the guy, but this was overkill.

"Justin?" He asked again.

"I'm going to sleep!" I groaned.

"Okay, goodnight."

I was tempted to turn invisible just so he would go look for me somewhere else. But then he might have the whole school up all night looking for a kid that wasn't missing.

I rolled over, turning the TV off and ran a hand through my hair. Trying to get some sleep. A quiet voice reminded me my birthday was coming up soon. I was turning sixteen, which would have been more of a big deal if I were a girl, but whatever. It was just another year right?

I sighed softly. There was something missing from my life it felt. I didn't usually feel this way, it had only started a few days ago. I didn't understand it, but it was like I had forgotten something important. Something valuable. And if I continued to think about it, I wouldn't get any sleep. I tried to banished the thought.

Until something jumped onto my shoulder.

I chocked on a small scream and whipped around, only to see Tyler standing there with a flashlight to mocking face. Will was standing behind him, with Wi, and Ryan.

"What was that for?" I accused, trying to make it look like he hadn't just scared the cookies out of me.

"Are you still up to go?" He asked, ignoring my question.

"Of course I am." I said, rolling out of bed. I hadn't changed into pajamas and was purposely wearing black.

"You sure your foot will be okay?" Will asked.

I tested it, setting a little weight on it. "I can still run."

He nodded. Then I noticed something.

"Wait a second what are you doing here?" I interrogated Ryan.

He smiled. "There's no way I'm missing out on this."

"You could be killed." I pointed out.

"I'd like to see them try." He taunted.

I looked up at Will with a questioning face. He shrugged.

I scribbled a quick note so my uncle would not tear down the city looking for me. Then, avoiding students who were still awake and any teachers, we made our way out the back door in the kitchen.

Then we were off into the night.

"I did a ton of research all afternoon." Will announced, pulling out some flashlights and handing them out.

"They rebuilt the Lab in the same state, but, there is another location here in California. You won't believe where it is."

"Mcdonalds." Tyler guessed.

"No-"

"The Empire State Building."

"No, that's in New York-"

"Reykavik."

"I don't even know where that-"

"Oh I've got it this time!" Tyler shouted.

"Below Gilligan Industries." Wi cut in.

Will stared at him. "How did you know that?"

He shrugged. "I heard it somewhere."

"Ok, well, yes. It's underneath my father's building. Which might explain why Worthington asked us to meet him there."

"Ok, so are we making a second trip?" I asked.

"We don't need to, but it would be nice to check the place on our way back." He stated.

On the way back. He wanted to get there as soon as possible. I wanted to get going to, like this would bring me closer to finding my missing piece I never knew I lost.

It would take a while to get to Washington on foot, since only three of us could fly. Will of course had already planned out an entire bus and train schedule since there was no way we would get past airport security. Besides, weird people turned up on buses all the time. We were paying for all this with a combined flow of all the money everyone had, which wasn't much until I pitched in. There are some perks to having an Uncle who is principal, part time voice actor, renowned scientist, and an author in his spare time.

We had enough to make it to Olympia National Park. Which was close enough.

I could bore with decriptive detail of how many different public transportations we used in the next five hours. But honestly nothing terribly exiting happened. I mean sure, five awkward looking, teenage boys received plenty of odd looks. At least Will and Tyler had remembered to wear sweatshirts.

We were almost to Oregon by morning. No one slept, at least not for the first night. Plenty of time I nearly dozed off or faded in public, but after becoming nearly transparent a sharp jab from Tyler kept me awake.

    "So Will filled me in on a bit yesterday." Ryan started as we stepped off the last bus in what appeared to be a shady forest. "I heard that the Lab had taken hostages, and we were going to rescue them, but who are they exactly?"

    "Genny, you know her, this other girl called Gratuity, a young girl nobody knows, and another male teen nobody knows." I explained straight forward.

    "And all I have to do if fry the mainframe." Said Wi.

    "Exactly." Will assured.

    "Sounds easy enough." He nodded.

    Unknown to us, a figure dressed in dark green was waiting up in the trees.

    She took a small dart out of her bag and loaded it into her airgun. Then she aimed it at my hat, and pulled the trigger.

    The little circle stuck in the fabric, then changed to be the same color of the cloth.

    The tracker beeped once, and started sending my location back to her.