I Forget My Birthday

I was glad everyone was okay, things had settled down a bit. Of course that was until everyone learned the that Dylan had brought back that flash drive. Theo wanted to know immediately what is was and Chespin was equally excited. We waited to open it though, we didn't do anything until Anakin said we could see Dylan.

He was lying on his back, staring up at the ceiling, his yellow eyes blinking open and closed, Icie was talking to him, but she stopped when we walked in, Theo, Chespin, and me.

"Hey Justin, what's up?" She asked.

I smiled sheepishly as Dylan sat up. "Well, we figured with all that work you put into getting the bloody thing, you might as well be present when we try to open it."

Dylan look surprised. "Oh, thanks."

Anakin shrugged, sitting down in a chair across from the bed, and a cup of coffee floated towards him. "Go ahead."

    Chespin handed Dylan the laptop, hoping up on the bed, I stood to the side, Theo in the back, Icie wanted to see to as Dylan opened it up. I handed him the flash drive Will had given me earlier.

    "So how does this work? Do I just plug it or..." Dylan asked quietly.

    "Yeah, I'll handle everything afterwords but you should be the one to do it." Chespin explained, Dylan followed his advice.

    A friendly looking square popped up, and loading bar, it looked like it would take a few minutes.

"So how are you doing Dylan?" Theo asked.

Dylan shrugged, getting quiet all of a sudden. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Icie glance warily at Dylan.

"He'll be okay, minor injuries are scrapes and minor burns. He told me he took one of the serums there, I'm not exactly sure what was in it, but it kind of latched on to all of the wolf cells and...burnt them out I guess? Anyway it was way to much, no more transforming. Since you're one of the earlier tests of this whole 'light sensitive changing thing' it was bound to hit a few bumps, although I'm sure you're probably happier with the outcome." Anakin cracked grin.

"So you two were pretty lucky then?" I sighed, feeling relatively relieved.

Anakin's smile faded. "Not...exactly, from what I heard from Will, some parts of the ceiling and support beams fell on top of him and damaged his spinal cord, he's paraplegic. Thankfully it was pretty low and not close to his head or neck."

"What does that mean?" Theo inquired, because I'm sure no one in that room understood what Anakin was saying.

"It means I'm never walking again." Dylan sighed, his voice cracking slightly.

    Anakin brushed aside a loose lock of his chocolate hair, and coughed. "Well, through therapy there's always a chance of nerve regrowth, even if the chance is pretty slim."

    "Yeah, whatever. I'm fine." Dylan tried to make it look it didn't bother him.

    "Hey look!" Chespin interrupted the awkward silence.

    The laptop beeped, and a page filled with notes popped up. I peered closely and it seemed like a bunch of gibberish, but Chespin gasped excitedly.