The Bounty Hunter Gives me a Hug

When I woke up, my whole body ached.

I groaned and rolled over of my back, opening my eyes to fuzzy shapes of dark green and black. I waited patiently and everything swam into focus. I was lying on the forest ground, the tall trees of Olympia National Park loomed above me. Above that the stars twinkled brightly.

I slowly sat up and realized I had been lying on one of those small mattresses that weren't actually mattresses that people took camping with them under their sleeping bags. It was slightly damp, dirty, and a bit mangled, like it had been used a lot.

Beside me their was a small fire crackling. Placed above it and tied haphazardly was a small pot with something cooking in it. It smelled delicious and I looked around to see if there was anyone around. Someone must have rescued me or something, and cook the dinner, and wrapped the bandages around raw leg and aching head. Not to mention several band aids and-

I stiffened, I was wearing a different shirt, and my ties had been removed. My wings were stretched out, one was hanging at an awkward angle, a chunk of it was missing. It hurt like something out of a horror movie. My heart pounded suddenly as I realized what had happened while I was unconscious.

Suddenly a figure dropped right in front of me and landed on the ground with a soft thud. I yelped in surprise as I recognized them as the Bounty Hunter that had been following me everywhere. She was dressed all in black and a mask covered her face.

"Stay away from me!" I hissed, looking around for something to brandish as a weapon.

"Woah woah woah!" She put her hands up in defense.

"What is wrong with you, why can't you leave me alone?" I accused, finding nothing putting my hands up.

To my utter surprise, she pulled off her hood. A mop of blonde streaked brown hair tumbled down her light tan skin. I noticed parts of were dyed blue, red, and purple. Then I was being stared at by the most intense purple eyes I've ever seen.

    "I'm not going to kill you, I need your blood though." She tried to explain.

    "Why? Are you working for the Lab?" I inquired, loosening my stance a bit.

    "I don't work for the Lab, I'm part of a group that are just trying to survive, like you. One of my best friends was hurt badly a couple of days ago and I needed your blood for it's fast healing abilities, it's been saving her life." She said.

    "Oh, well, you could have just asked." I replied miffed.

    She smiled weakly and didn't answer. I got the feeling there was something she wasn't telling me.

To break the silence, she held out her hand. "My name's Sabine, and a thank you would be nice."

"Justin, and for what?" I asked, shaking it.

"Saving you life, I've been tracking you since California."

"You also threw explosives at my feet, and knocked me out, and beat me up, and threw darts at me-"

"Okay fine," she smiled, then punched me on the arm lightly.

"Ow! What was that for?" I whined.

"For being a cute smarypants." Sabine laughed.

I felt my cheeks heat up and I'm positive I was blushing wildly. Did she just call me- never mind. Don't think about that. Try not to pay attention to her insanely purple eyes.

I blinked several times. The my attention wavered back to to fact she was seeing my wings.

I pulled on in front of me, hissing softly when I bent the torn chunk. It hurt a lot to move it, I don't think I could fold them back in if I wanted to.

    "Hey!" She yelled suddenly. "Don't you dare stress that, otherwise it won't heal properly."

    She shooed my hands away away from my back while I sat there stunned. Sabine tried to fix the bandage, but I winced away from her touch.

    "You're not, gonna make fun of me?" I chocked out.

Sabine raised an eyebrow. "Aw, come here."

I gasped as she pulled me into an awkward side hug. My face transformed into the color equivalent of a hot chili pepper. This was the closest I had been to a girl since my own mother gave birth to me.

"Dude, last time I checked you're just an average guy livin' his life on the same earth the rest of us are." She smiled, then released me from her clutches.

    I pushed her away, scooting over and trying not to stress my injuries while doing so. She gave me a worried smile but I ignored it. There was no way this would last. She would betray and backstab me soon. Someone always did, that was why I never shared my secrets.

    Never.