Beauty

Genny woke up to the sound of screaming.

The first thing she noticed was that the light had been turned down extremely low. She could barely see in front of her face, much less walk around.

She peeked out of the room and located the source of the whimpering. It was coming from Tui's room. Genny cautiously walked over, peering in, expecting something hideous. Instead, it was actually quite beautiful. Tui was clutching her shaking hands on the sides of the folded bed. The room sparkled and reflected tiny bits of light from chunks of white gemstone that had gotten stuck in her hair.

The bed she was sitting on had turned into pure crystal.

"Woah!" She gasped, staring at the bed.

"I was just sitting here and all of a sudden it turned into this!" Tui breathed shakily.

"Look at your hair." Genny marveled.

Tui took a piece and examined in. The cuts of crystal glowed softly. Contrasted in her midnight black hair, it looked like Tui was wearing a wig of the universe. Little stars twinkled and glowed in the twilight depths. She looked stunning.

"Huh, that's cool. I guess." She attempted to smile, but failed miserably.

"Crystallokinesis."

Genny jumped and looked down to see Josie staring at Tui in awe.

"What?" Tui quacked.

"That's what it's called, Crystallokinesis. Trust me I know stuff."

Josie ran over and ran her hand along the smooth edges the sparkling bed. She smiled at the smothered glow. Genny looked down and noticed a large shard had fallen away from the bed. It was long, triangular, and sharp. She brushed an annoying piece of hair away from her face and picked it up. It gave her an idea.

Then in one swift motion, she reached behind her head, and sliced through her hair just below her neckline.

Tui gasped. "What did you do that for?"

Genny shrugged, holding the mat of knotted golden curls. "It's was getting messy, and I can't fight my way out with this mess in my way."

"But you're so pretty." She whined, reawakening the teenager inside.

"It'll grow back." Genny comforted.

Tui pouted a little, but it seemed she was finally getting over her new found superpower.

"I think you both look hideous." A sly voice hissed softly from the doorframe.

Genny sighed and turned to see Dylan leaning heavily on the rickety doorframe. It was hard to see in the dim light, but he looked pale and weak. It must have been her imagination, but was he trembling?

"And you look wretched." She replied with about as much emotion in her voice as a rock.

"Are you okay?" Josie asked.

He clenched his jaw. "I don't need your help."

Dylan stumbled off, mumbling to himself.

"Did he come over here just to insult us?" Tui scoffed.

"He doesn't look okay, last night he had a fever." Genny added.