The Serum

When Genny woke up, she felt a baracade of colors push down on her so hard she could barely see.

    Usually it was easy enough picking out peoples emotions and sending them away so they didn't nag her endlessly. After all she had fifteen years of practice behind her. This time it was different. It was like her senses had been extended beyond touching people, she felt like she could read their minds. Is this really how Will feels? How did he make it through the day without telling all the voices to put a sock in it? This was driving her insane!

    She groaned and sat up, trying to focus on her surroundings. A bit of golden liquid dripped from the needle in the anklet. She moaned again, Genny had already picked up enough from Will's feelings that gold meant bad stuff would happen.

    She gazed around at the cube shaped room she was in. The walls and floor seemed to be made out of small rubber sticks. Like those inflated caterpillar stress balls you find a party stores. It was weird.

    Standing up, she noticed the floor also changed colors. From a deep blue when she was lying down to a blue/green teal when she tried to stand. It following my own emotions, it's like my eyes, but for myself. 

    She gazed as it mixed teal with green for happiness and yellow for joy as she realized this wasn't very dangerous. She also didn't see a way out of here.

    The wall to her right shifted and the tightly packed stands pushed and pulled themselves to form two tunnels. Down one she heard voices, down the other was silent.

    "Genny?" It was Josie's voice.

    "Here!" She yelled back, waiting until the short, bobbing, brown curls made their appearance.

    "Oh thank goodness your alright!" Genny sighed in relief, leaning down to hug Josie.

    She was confused when her finger brushed against something that felt like thin paper. Josie giggled like she was being tickled.

    "Those are my wings." She said, and Genny gasped as two pairs of pale pink, yet slightly clear wings lifted from her shoulders.

    They looked slightly like dragon wings, with long arms stretching out into the air with the papery skin draped between. But they didn't fold in like a dragons', instead they simply went up and down. They were so close to the color of Josie's white shirt Genny had missed them before. She couldn't help but marvel at them, they were beautiful and shiny, with a purple iridescence.

    The room slowly turned into a bright green as she marveled. The was short lived, for a sew seconds later, echoing down the tunnel to her right was a sharp feminine scream.

    "Tui!" She gasped, and stood to go after the sound. Josie grabbed her hand.

    "It's not her, it's just a recording." Josie pleaded, trying to get her to stop.

    Genny would have none of it. "How did they get the recording then?"

    Josie looked like she was about to cry. "Please don't go down that tunnel."

    She stopped. Something in the tone of her voice was stopping her. The floor was a lapping mixture of light and dark purple, fear and worry.

    Genny sighed. "Fine, you had better be right."

    "Follow me, I know the way out." Josie said, her wings twitching.