Chapter 7

Elizabeth was laying on the springy bed, her legs on one half of the single bed duo and her top half on the other. She studied the amount of paper Tom had spread throughout the desk.

Soon enough, he wouldn't have enough room to continue using it.

He breathed heavily, leaning back in the hard, wooden chair that left his back in agony.

"Are you finished?" Elizabeth asked casually, looking for a sign that he was less stressed. Of course, there wasn't any.

"Just about," he managed to say, "I'll continue later in the afternoon."

It was only about two pm, so the pair had the rest of the day to collect further information.

"We need space to make notes on Hogsmeade, too," Elizabeth said carefully, gesturing towards his mess of paper and diagrams.

"I know," he told her, shuffling the paper into a pile, "There's not much else we can study here. We have to follow that woman."

"Follow her?" Elizabeth laughed, "Tom, I think that'll be harder than you're picturing it to be."

"Oh, I know it'll be difficult," he smirked confidently.

Elizabeth rested her head against the pillows. Tom noticed the look of bliss as she closed her eyes, as if she didn't get much sleep.

"Elizabeth-"

"I'm not answering you until you call me Lizzie."

"Elizabeth, don't be ridiculous," Tom groaned, giving her a look of disbelief. The girl stayed quiet, looking at Tom with her round brown eyes.

Tom speculated his other options, but discovered that he had no choice but to listen to her. Begrudgingly but without faltering, he said, "Lizzie."

"Yes, Tom?" Elizabeth replied, rolling over so that Tom couldn't see the small smile appearing on her face.

"You can rest, if you'd like. I'm going to go investigate in Hogsmeade."

"What?" Elizabeth giggled, "Tom, I'm not falling for your perfect student image. You're not going to claim all the glory to yourself."

"I can assure you that is not my intention," Tom said with a disapproving look.

"I'm not staying."

"Elizabeth-"

"Lizzie!"

Tom shook his head, "You were about to drop off any second before I started talking to you. I should've let you - I could be there by now."

"You wouldn't have dared," Elizabeth said, rising from her position on the bed. She gave Tom a look of determination.

"Wouldn't I?" He asked as he pushed her shoulder down lightly. She fell backwards, her hair cascading around her shoulders as she landed on the pillows, "Please, Elizabeth."

"Why don't you want me around?" Elizabeth questioned, hurt evident in her eyes, "Why are you so desperate to go without me?"

"You won't be of use if you're that tired," he announced. But nevertheless, Elizabeth ended up tagging along anyway.

She smiled to herself as they walked side-by-side to Hogsmeade. Conveniently enough, the woman from the front desk in the lobby just so happened to be heading the same way.

"Hello!" She'd said as Tom and Elizabeth trailed down the stairs, "May I ask if you're going to Hogsmeade? I heard that the Hogwarts students go there routinely."

"Yes, we are," Elizabeth said quickly, taking this as a fantastic opportunity.

The woman's clear blue eyes focused on Tom, who was staring at her calculatingly. Elizabeth noticed this and felt something strike at her stomach. It was unlike anything she'd felt before.