Chapter 25

"Tom, I..."

Elizabeth was completely speechless. Between trying to figure out Tom's expression and answer his question fully, she was confused and felt somewhat lost. Tom's piercing eyes were on her, awaiting an answer impatiently. After all, he had just plucked up the courage to ask her to be his.

"It's fine," Tom said. He grabbed his suitcase but Elizabeth's shaking hand reached for his.

"Don't go," she begged, her raw umber eyes scanning over his large, pale hands. He placed it back on the floor and crossed his arms, facing her.

"You aren't going to answer me," he told her, his voice full of malice and frustration.

"I am, okay!" Elizabeth almost yelled, remembering that her grandparents were in the house, "But you can't love, Tom."

Tom's crystal eyes rolled over her face for a second, trying to understand.

"I just kissed you," he stated, dumbfounded.

Elizabeth nodded, "Let's just go, Tom. They're expecting us."

"We'll talk about this later," Tom said, clearly pissed off.

They enjoyed the most part of the day with Elizabeth's grandparents, although Tom was feeling a dull ache in his heart. Elizabeth kept telling herself that he didn't really want to be with her; he couldn't. He was conceived under a love potion, he knew that and he'd told her himself.

Eventually Tom and Elizabeth were left alone together again. Tom sat on the windowsill in Elizabeth's bedroom, gazing out of the window at the snowy night. The ground glistened in the pale moonlight, reflecting into Tom's clear eyes.

Elizabeth was quiet. She didn't want to start talking.

So Tom took the chance instead. The first thing he said was, "Elizabeth."

"Yes?" Elizabeth responded, her sepia eyes flickering up to look at him beneath her long, thick lashes.

"I was being serious," Tom told her, his gaze not moving from the snow falling from the inky sky.

"I know," Elizabeth sighed out, "But Tom, you can't really want to be with me. You can't love."

Tom closed his eyes for a brief moment, lifting his bony fingers to rub his temples in an attempt to cool the furiousity building in the pit of his stomach.

"I know what I want," was all Tom said.

Elizabeth didn't reply for a while. She sat on her bed, legs hanging over the edge, watching Tom as his eyes flickered open and shut. He was falling asleep in the moonlight. His features were exaggerated by the lack of daylight, his face sculpted and his pale aqua eyes brighter than usual.

"Okay," Elizabeth finally breathed out, "I want to be with you, too."

Tom's eyes shot open, revealing surprised blue eyes, and his face lit up for the first time that morning. He genuinely smiled at Elizabeth who approached him and wrapped her arms around his body.

"I think I might be able to love," Tom barely whispered in Elizabeth's ear. She didn't hear it. She had fallen asleep in Tom's arms.