Chapter 22

Christmas was coming. Every time Elizabeth overheard a conversation about it, her stomach churned and she felt nothing but excitement. Tom, on the other hand, just thought of going back to the orphanage. This year, he thought he'd certainly end up killing someone. That was until Elizabeth gave him an offer he just couldn't pass up.

"I know you hate the orphanage, Tom..." She started, wanting to bite her nails with nervousness, "Would you like to stay with my grandparents and I? My parents are dead, but my grandparents are the next best thing, I promise."

Tom didn't think he'd never smiled as wide as he did when he heard her words. He responded, "I would love to, Elizabeth. Thank you."

Elizabeth had just grinned back at him.

Tom had a plan. He hadn't got Elizabeth a present yet, but he knew exactly what he was going to do for her on the night of Christmas Day. That was if her grandparents weren't completely overprotective of the pair, anyway.

Christmas break came around quicker than Tom expected. He'd never once been exhilarated by the thought of the holidays but Elizabeth had given him a reason to be. Tom didn't think anything of having to meet her grandparents, either. Meeting people he was supposed to respect was easy - all he needed to do was employ his usual good-boy behaviour and he was set. Everyone loved Tom.

"You ready?" Elizabeth asked, poking her head through Tom's dorm door. He was shirtless and she found herself attempting to take her eyes off the muscles in his sculpted back, but she couldn't. Tom turned and she quickly looked up, her cheeks reddening as a result of being caught.

"Not yet," he chuckled back, "But I'm sure you can already see that, Elizabeth."

She scoffed, tilting her head upwards, "Not that it was something I wanted to see."

He stepped closer to her, grazing a hand on her heated face, "I could feel your gaze burning into my back. It's cute when you try to lie."

Elizabeth pushed him away jokingly, clearly embarrassed. Tom laughed at her, slipping the silky soft material of his black shirt over his arms and struggling to button it up. Elizabeth did this to him - he shook constantly, and he always felt like he was going to do something wrong. He felt the insecurity of a boy in love.

"Want help?" She offered. He nodded and it was his turn to blush down at her as she moved close to him and did up the buttons of his shirt, her fingers tingling against his hot skin.

Tom did it before he even thought about it. Before she stepped backwards again, he put a hand around the back of her head. Her smooth hair slid between his fingers as he pushed the top of her head forwards and kissed her forehead.

Elizabeth looked up at him in surprise, her face was bright red and her sepia eyes were full of shock. Tom had a similar expression - only his blue eyes were full of satisfaction and love.

"I love it when you're close to me," Tom breathed, pulling her into his chest. Elizabeth gladly accepted the contact and snuggled into him a little before pulling away again.

"As do I, Tom," Elizabeth replied with a little smile.

Tom lifted his weighty bag off of his bed, pulling it over his shoulder and smirking at Elizabeth.

He was more than prepared for the Christmas holidays that year.