Chapter 8

"So, what's the plan for today?" Elizabeth asked as she clasped her necklace around her neck.

"I'm unsure," Tom admitted. This surprised Elizabeth.

"You don't know?" She asked in an extremely curious tone.

"No. I mean, we have already figured out the issue. There isn't any further research for us to do outside of this inn."

"But what the woman's doing isn't causing anyone harm, is it?" Elizabeth asked quizzically, "So there's something more to this! Dippet said that it isn't safe here."

"Yes, you're correct. However, Elizabeth, did you not notice that there were three less men at breakfast this morning?" Tom asked.

Elizabeth shook her head, "Tom, they probably went home."

"That's what I'm going to be checking," Tom announced, "I've decided. You're going to distract that woman, Mary, and possibly collect some decent details - ask her about the area. If she doesn't know much, it makes her even more of a suspect. I'll check through the guest list and see if those men checked out."

"You know their names?"

"Yes, when you went to the bathroom. I had a little chat with them. They called you pretty..." Tom's eyebrows suddenly furrowed and it was like a fire was lit behind his eyes - he seemed fuelled, "What old perverts."

Elizabeth laughed, earning a harsh stare from Tom. "It's just a compliment. If some girls called you handsome, would you be mad?"

Tom sighed, "Probably not."

"Exactly."

"But they base their judgements from facts. Those men, however..."

"Hey!" Elizabeth shouted, slapping Tom's arm lightly. They ended up laughing together and Elizabeth noticed how joyous Tom could actually seem - his laugh was addictive to her. It was like a charm.

Tom instantly stopped, staying silent. He turned back to his notes, flicking through them. He commented, "I certainly thought this task would be more difficult. She was right under our noses from the very start."

"I know," Elizabeth sighed contently, "I'm just glad we don't really have to get involved."

"Oh but we are. If those men haven't checked out, we're going to find out where they are and ask around."

Elizabeth looked at Tom with a sharp look, "Can't we just transfer the information to Headmaster Dippet? We could go back to Hogwarts."

"That desperate to get away from me?" Tom joked. "Elizabeth, if we leave this as is... So many people could die before Dippet actually gets to them."

"He's not that irresponsible," Elizabeth defended, "If he didn't care about it much, he wouldn't have sent us."

"But think about it. There is sure to be smarter students than us, isn't there? So why would he send two fifth years?" Tom suggested.

Elizabeth scoffed, "You're Tom bloody Riddle. All the teachers are up your ass."

Tom was surprised. He expected Elizabeth to have been brought up in a refined family setting free of vulgar language - although, coming from her mouth, swearing didn't sound as bad as it usually did. Her voice was smooth like honey and soft like velvet.

"Freaking out because I used a naughty word?" Elizabeth said, enjoying poking fun at Tom. He scowled at her.

"I don't care. I just expected... better of you," he smirked.

"Sorry to disappoint, but I don't live to meet your expectations."

"Nor did I expect you to," Tom said with a wry smile.

"I really wish I wasn't with you," Elizabeth joked. Tom was silent. He didn't want her to feel like that - but he couldn't deny that there were people he would have rather been with, too.

It wasn't long until Tom and Elizabeth put their plan into action. Putting on a false, overly stupid act, Elizabeth approached Mary.

"Hello," Elizabeth greeted with a sickenly sweet smile, "I was just wondering if you could give me some information about local spots?"

"Oh! It'd be a pleasure... I don't really know much about the area though," Mary responded, panic covering her features. Once she realised this, she quickly cleared it up with an overly fake smile.

"Why is that? I heard you were a local."

By this time, Mary looked as though she were going to faint. Elizabeth saw Tom's signal for her to stop, so she bid the woman goodbye as fast as she could and rushed over to him.

They headed out of the inn together and began to whisper behind some trees just outside.

"Did you find anything?" Tom asked instantly, eyeing Elizabeth.

She laughed in response, "She said she 'didn't know much about the area'. I was just saying that I thought she was a local when you called me away."

"Interesting. Those men didn't check out, either," Tom announced, "They must still be somewhere in the inn. They've been in the canteen all day every day so far."

"Something is definitely wrong," Elizabeth agreed with a nod.

"I just hope we find out what. Could you write an owl to Dippet?" Tom questioned.

"Yes," Elizabeth answered, "Where are you going?"

Tom smiled a little. It looked like a temptation - the corner of his lips flickered up, but he urged them back down once he realised what reaction he'd just had to Elizabeth. Nevertheless, he replied, "Nowhere."