A First Time for Everything

.

.

.

Six years old. It's her first day of first grade and she's confident and cocky. Her mother, on the other hand, is a nervous wreck as she watches her daughter skip to her cubby, where another girl, one much more confident then her daughter, was putting her things away into the cubby beside hers.

The little girl with the big bright and confident brown eyes and long chocolate curls secured with a pink bow smiled at the taller girl, who seemed to be wishing she were anywhere but there.

"Hi," the smaller girl quips, her smile reaching her eyes. "I'm Camila," she extended her hand in the small space in between the two of them and the taller girl looked at the tan hand and brightly smiled back, placing her hand in Camila's.

"I'm Dinah."

Just like that - the two girls became inseparable. Best friends from the start. Dinah offered for Camila to come over to her house after school and Camila happily accepted, glad she made a best friend right off the bat, as her mother had been worried she wouldn't - due to her over confident stance, some children might have been too intimidated to form a friendship with her.

.

.

.

The first time they met, it was like two waves crashing together for the first time - an instant connection.

Before she knows it, there's this fluttery feeling in her stomach that tickles at her knees and feet and has the ability to paint her ears red. It may have to do with the girl she caught sight of while walking into her new friends home, the one with the light brown hair and the bright emerald eyes and the shy smile, the one she later learns is the daughter of her mothers boyfriend. And since she's Camila, she'll be the one to introduce herself. She's not even seven yet, and she's just as outgoing as she will be in a decade.

"I'm Camila Cabello," she confidently quipped, flashing her pearly whites.

She's nine years old and she's never liked boys. A small part of her always gravitated towards girls. According to her sources, (best friend number one, Normani, and best friend number two, Ally) she wasn't supposed to like girls, and that she had to like boys, even though they were freakishly mutant-like, infested with the infamously known contagious cooties dispersed by 1. short hair, 2. mud, 3. bugs. It's funny, though, because the minute she places her hand in the space between their small bodies, she takes it, forgetting all about them.

"I'm Lauren," and she's glad she likes girls, because she really doesn't want to get infected.

.

.

.

The first time Camila felt something towards Lauren was something iconic in her life - she was only nine. Much too young to have feelings for someone - let alone a girl three years older then she. It would be something she would never forget, because she practically saved her life.

Being the overly confident and cocky girl she was, Dinah dared her best friend to jump from the swing set in the Hansen/Jauregui's backyard into the pool. And Camila Cabello never backed down from a bet.

She gave the taller girl a huge confident grin and started swinging, trying to get as high as she could before jumping off the swing - however, instead of landing in the water as she had planned, she realized in horror that she would land on the asphalt a few feet from the pool. She shut her eyes tightly, anticipating the pain that would soon engulf her small prepubescent body.