Truth or Dare

"Camz!"

Camila groans, rubbing her eyes as she turns over, opening her eyes; the humid summer air swims across her skin, misquotes talking away as Lauren turns on her bedside lamp. The light bulb illuminates their dusty summer camp cabin, shared with Dinah, Ally and Normani. Camila whines, waving Lauren away as she covers the thin, cool quilt over her head.

"Wha-aaat?"

Lauren rolls her eyes, tearing the covers away from her friend, hand on hip. Hurriedly, she gestures for Camila to get up and follow, exclaiming, "C'mon! They're playing Truth or Dare in Zendaya's cabin."

Camila mumbles grumpily into her pillow, "That game's stupid," and Lauren promptly shoves her off the mattress and onto the creaky wooden boards. The thump resounds against the screens and wooden paneling the rag-tag house calls walls, and Camila scowls, standing up, brushing herself off. She glares at Lauren, who grins, before pulling her wrist. The screen door flies open and Camila nearly falls down the stairs. Barefoot and only in short pajama bottoms and an old camp tee from last year, she whines again.

"Ew! The grass is all wet!"

Lauren rolls her eyes, adding onto the speed and force, "Suck it up!"

They walk across the bonfire's usual spot and pass the trees and picnic area, finally coming to a stop on the wide trail. When Camila thinks they're about to walk into cabin seventy-five, Lauren actually hooks right, leading her into the thick of forest, which makes her feet all nasty and slimy. Camila refrains herself from complaining, and instead questions.

"I thought you said it was in Zendaya's cabin!"

Lauren rolls her eyes, hopping over the creek (Camila's glare's at the girl's outfit—jean shorts, tank, and hiking boots. Just perfect for this weather!), "You really think the counselor's would allow every girl in the camp to play Truth or Dare? God, it's at the fort!"

And by fort, Lauren means the secret hideout in the center of the forest, featuring a rather large tree house, fire pit, and tire swing; made who-knows-when, found by the two girl's walking along now. Finally, after what seems like forever, Lauren and Camila make it. Every one of the one hundred and sixteen girls are crammed into the hideout, now including Lauren and Camila, either on the tire swing, in the tree house, or by the lit fire. Lauren softly grasps Camila's hand, moving her to an empty spot near the fire, noticing Camila shiver in her tank top and thin shorts. All of the other teenage girls snicker at the obviousness of Lauren's affection, although Camila stays oblivious.

Once everyone is settled, the oldest girl (also the one that's been at the camp the longest), Selena, stands up, orange fire lighting her face nearly righteously.

"Alright!"

Everyone ceases the talking, eating of marshmallows, etcetera, gulping in near-unison. Selena smirks, soaking up the power and giving it back out humbly and charmingly.

"It's time to play truth or dare—sickest dares and most revealing truths. No backing out, and no skipping—" (Camila gulps) "—you can't ask what you're crush is—" a few glance at Lauren, then at Camila, and back at Lauren knowingly, "—or anything like that because that's stupid. Everyone plays no exceptions." Selena's pretty smile takes place again as she claps her hands, "Okay?"

Once everyone agrees, she grins evilly, and plops back down, in the middle of the small area. Truths and Dares are passed around—"I—I got my cherry popped from a... girl"—"I saw my mom cheating"—"I dare you to eat a worm"—and various cringes and groans and red faces later, a girl named Hailee giggles, leaning over towards her friend named Taylor. They whisper, before looking down from the tree house to Lauren, who glares steely right back.

"Truth or Dare?"

"Dare," the word is instantaneous, and pretty much everyone rolls their eyes.

Hailee smirks, her pretty, skinny eyes shining mercilessly—"Kiss the girl to your left."

Lauren sucks in a breath, her heart hammering as she scoots away from Camila. The other girl, though nervous and embarrassed as well, is hurt, yet doesn't show it. Selena frowns in Camila's direction, before glaring at Lauren.

"Come on, Jauregui! You heard me, no backing out!" She points to a youthful redheaded girl with freckles, still looking queasy, "Megan ate a freaking worm, so I'm sure you can handle kissing your best friend."

In all of her fifteen years, Lauren's never been this nervous. The only thing she heard out of the older girl's mouth was "worms" and "kissing best friend". She gulps and starts feeling sick, but she should, right? It's just Camila.

Butterflies erupt in her stomach, and she turns shakily to the other girl, who tightens the grip on helpless strands of grass. Hurriedly, she stutters out: "J—Just do it."

And Lauren does, leaning in (when did they get so close?) and cupping Camila's cheek. Camila closes her eyes, and Lauren does as well before their lips brush. All of the other girls watch intently, all of them looking at each other, feeling intrusive. Meanwhile, Camila and Lauren feel as if pushed into the flames next to them, hearts hammering and skin sweating.

The kiss looses all of its hesitation, replaced with excitement. It's Camila's first kiss, and she's unsure, messy—but Lauren seems to be an expert, brushing revealing skin and playing with fingers like a pro.

After about three minutes (all of the girl's mouths open, and a select few are breathing harshly, sweating and shifting) Selena finally clears her throat, head hazy as well.

"Erm—you guys can—uh—like, leave."

Camila moans, eyes squeezed tight as she grips the back of Lauren's tanktop. Lauren shakily stands up, harshly sweeping Camila up and carrying her bridal style. Several girls whoop and whistle, before Lauren runs off. Camila smiles, snuggling closer; yet the thought of what her parents will think of this is in the back of her mind. Lauren drops her on the ground, and Camila looks around—they're in a clearing surrounded by trees—before all see can see is pale skin and emerald eyes.