Chapter 13

*3 weeks later*

Laila's POV

I put my Nike hoodie over my body, after I took a shower. I was so glad basketball practice was over. Thank God It's Friday.

That's one thing I hate: after basketball season is over, we still gotta practice.

I got my gym bag, and waited till Starr got out of the shower. I checked my phone to see I had a text from my boo, Dace.

My ♥ - baby, we on our way to pick ya'll up.

Me - okay, boo.

Starr came into the gym with only her sports bra and hooping shorts. I don't blame her; it's hot as hell.

"Girl, you must don't feel this fucking heat wave?" She asked, fanning herself.

I shook my head, not wanting her to see the huge gash my step-father left on my chest after he sliced it with a knife last night.

I love Starr and all, but I don't want my life to be all out in the open. I keep it between myself, my step-father, my mother, and my little sister, Maria.

My mother tries so hard to get away from him, but anytime she threatens to leave, he beats her. And us. I'm just tryna walk across the stage and get my diploma, so I can take me, my mother, and Maria away from that hell hole.

"The boys on their way, so let's go wait outside." I told Starr.

She nodded, and we went outside.

While we was waiting for the boys to come, two unknown girls started walking towards us.

"Man, La .. this that bitch I had to beat a few weeks back." Starr whispered to me.

I mugged the girls, and they stood right in our face.

"Look, India. This the bitch who thank she safe cause she got CJ up under her arm." Kimberly said. "and then she got her another hoe, too." Kimberly and her side hoe laughed. That side hoe had got some balls & stepped up to me and scuffed my shoes.

No words spoken, I started punching homegirl in the face while Starr had Kimberly. I was showing no mercy to the girl. I was taking all of the anger I had for my step-dad out on her. They were crying on the ground as CJ's car pulled up.

Dace picked me up off the girl, as I spit in her face. CJ got Starr up, and she spit in her face, too.

They put us in the car, and CJ drove off, leaving the girls there on the ground. They didn't say anything to us the whole ride to Starr's house.

Starr unlocked the door, and I dropped my bag and went straight up to the guest room. I was happy I could spend another weekend over here. I turned on the TV and layed, face down on the bed. A bitch was exhasted.

About 3 minutes later, Dace came up to the room, and sat on the bed with his legs opened.

"Come here, baby." He said to me.

"I don't wanna. I'm too tired." I said. He picked me up, and sat me in between his legs and hugged my waist. We stayed quiet for about 5 minutes.

"How was practice?" He asked finally, stroking my hair.

"It was fine before I had to beat that bitch ass." I replied.

He sighed and took a while before replying, "Baby, you can't just be going around whooping bitches for no reason. It's not right"

I got up off the bed & stood over him. "Man, nigga you don't even know what the fuck she did! Why you picking sides and shit, I had a good reason to why I beat her ass!" I yelled.

He stood up, the same height as me, 5'7, and yelled, "Well, Chanel what was your reason?!" He said my middle name so I knew he was mad.

"SHE SCUFFED MY FUCKING SHOES, DACE, DAMN! Now, since you wanna take ole'girl side, go ahead! I don't give a fuck! Fuck you, and fuck her!" I shouted, walking towards the mirror to pin my hair up. If ole' girl was finna be with my nigga, she gonna have to put up a fight.

Dace walked behind me and put his arms around my waist, and his head in the crook of my neck. I pretended not to notice, and continued putting my hair up. This was our first arguement.

"Laila, stop." He said. I put my arms down and folded them under my chest. I avoided eye contact with him, and looked down.

He sighed and said, "Chanel, look at me." I turned around and put my face in his neck, and cried. He sat on the bed, and sat me in his lap.

"Laila, you know I love you, right? I'll do anything for your crazy, goofy ass. I ain't tripping bout you fighting cause I know you gotta handle yours. But, you can't go around whooping everybody ass. Do you know what I woulda did if you was that girl you was fighting? I woulda took my .22 out and killed the bitch on top of you." He said, as he wiped away my tears. I laughed. "Now, tell me what got you so stressed out that you gotta beat bitches asses."

I looked down and said, "Nothing."

"Laila, tell me." He said, lifting my chin to face him.

"School work .. I feel like my grades are slipping." I lied.

He eyed me suspiciously before replying, "Oh .. I understand. But, you know I'll help you through anything. We all 'all A's students'."

"Nigga, that don't mean nothing. You still dumb." I said, laughing. He laughed, too.

"Chill, Laila." He said, smiling. "Anyway, why were you putting your hair up in a bun?"

"Cause if you really was gone leave me for that bitch, she was gone have to put up a fight with me first." I said, honestly.

He laughed and said, "Laila, you know damn well I was not finna do that."

"Duh, I know. You ain't stupid." I said, standing up. He stood up in front of me & put his hands on my waist, and I put my arms around his neck.

"I love you, Laila." He said, kissing my lips.

I broke the kiss & replied, "I love you too, asshole."