Chapter 19

Laila's POV

I woke up to Dace jumping up and down my bed. It's something new everyday with this nigga.

To think that just a couple weeks ago, this nigga was sitting beside me on my hospital bed, crying. He had been through alot with me, and he told me his grades were slipping. I didn't want him to leave, but he did. I fell into a deep depression, and at most times I didn't know where I was. Sometimes I was in heaven with Dace, but he still would leave me when we were there. When I saw heard his voice at the hospital, I knew I wasn't day dreaming. He told me he went to stay with his father in Miami. He said he came back so early because he couldn't stop thinking about us. I told him if he ever leaves, or thinks about leaving again, I would cut his balls off.

"Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby, wake up!!" He said, screaming. I could tell he was excited.

"Dace, I'm up. What do you want?" I groaned.

"Our letters came!!" He yelled.

"You lying?!" I said, fully awake. I yanked the sheets off my body. I got out the bed and literally RAN to the other side of the bed to grab the letter out of Dace's hand.

"Wait, baby! I told you we were gonna do this right!" He said. I sighed and sat on my knees on the bed and sniffed my envelope. I read the corner:

Howard University 

5000 Cherry Street, NW, Washington, DC 78845 

202-555-2003

To: Laila Chanel Smith

Dace set up a video recorder to video us when we open our letters.

"Hey, um .. this me, Dace, and my girlfriend, Laila, and we um .. finna open up our letters to see if we got accepted to Howard University." He said to the camera. I giggled.

He placed the camera on my table, and faced it towards us.

"Gon' head and open yours, baby." Dace said.

With no hesitation, I opened mines.

Dear Laila Chanel Smith,

Congrats! You've been accepted into Howard University!

I screamed up and down, and tears of joy ran down my face. Dace hugged me and kissed my cheek.

"Open yours." I said.

I bit my bottom lip, and crossed my fingers, as I saw him opening his letter.

His eyes widened, and the grills in his mouth shone brightly as he yelled, "YEAAAAAH NIGGGGGA!"

He picked me up and threw me in the air, continuesly until he saw the pain in my eyes from my scars that were not healed yet.

"Sorry, baby." He said as he turned off the camera.

"Man, fuck that! Baby, we going to college!" I said, dancing wildly, like I was doing the Harlem Shake or some shit. I never knew how to dance.

"I'm finna call up some people to tell them, La!" Dace yelled.

"Calm down, I'm right here." I replied, laughing. My phone began to ring. I looked at the caller ID, and it was Starr.

"Hey, bitch! and, HAPPY FUCKING BIRTHDAY!" I said, remembering it was her bday.

"BITCH I'M GOING TO COLLEGE! AND, THANK YOU BABY!!" She screamed into the phone.

"HELL YES, BITCH! ME TOO, DACE IS TOO!"