Chapter 9 - He Has Me By My Heart

With a strong sense of sickness eating away at her soul Adriana ran back through the door and escaped onto the pavement, half-lit with a faded sunset and a few flickering street lights. A strong sense of loneliness infected her lungs and sent dizzy spells of uncertainty shooting through her body. She was lost in the depths of the ocean. An ocean her life had formed around her. She was drowning in her own troubles. Despite the dizziness that ensnared her senses she tried running from her problems but the icy waters just pulled her downwards until her entire body collapsed in heap, and the floods of her problems were replaced with tears.

'He has me by my heart' She thought repetitively. Over and over she uttered those words until they became meaningless.

Through stinging eyes Adriana saw a car park a few yards away and a figure emerging. For a second she thought it was Jamie coming to comfort her but that dream was dashed and divided before her eyes as she realised this was someone new. He crouched down next to Adriana and put his warm hand firmly on her shoulder which sent an immediate, short-lived phase of happiness shooting through her. Adriana was hesitant to reach out as she had just had a mountain of trust crumble beside her.

This crumbling of trust was like a childhood memory. Everyone at some point has found themselves piling blocks on top of one another with sheer happiness until they have built an almighty tower, only for someone to come and pull away the bottom block; the foundation of hope, and send it tumbling to the ground. Everyone has felt anger because the effort they have put in has been taken for granted. Everyone has built their hopes up high only to have them crumbling down beside them, leaving nothing but a mass mess of devastation.

Despite Adriana's lack of faith in anyone at this moment in her life she looked into his soft grey eyes and allowed him to pick her up and regain her balance. He was a lifeboat sailing out at sea to rescue the drowning girl. He was a light shining at the end of deep, dark tunnel. He had arcane eyes - a phrase which here means understood by very few and holding back many cloudy thoughts. He had hair, dark and lustrous which was overgrown slightly. He had everything. But most importantly he had Adriana by her heart.