Chapter 27 - Never Was There Ever A Girl So Pretty

Part Five - Diet Mountain Dew

Chapter 27 - Never Was There Ever A Girl So Pretty

Adriana woke up in shock, turning to find Matt no longer beside her. 'Where has he gone?' she thought suddenly, 'he's left me alone again' she panicked. Quickly she threw herself out of bed, worried, her top lip beginning to quiver. 'Was it all just a dream? Didn't we walk home together under the stars after all?' The tears we beginning to find there familiar places in the corner of her eyes as she went for her phone on the bedside table, surprised to find a small piece of paper, ripped at the edges and creased at every angle. It wasn't until she saw what was written that the tears disappeared and a smile fell onto her lips.

*

Emily sat across from her mother at the kitchen table, swallowing a mouthful of sweet coffee. Helen sat there, her hair scraped back revealing the deep bags under her eyes. She'd had very little sleep for the past few weeks and had tried her hardest to hide her emotion through her worn and weary smile.

"How are you feeling today?" Emily asked, trying her hardest to see through the disguise.

"I'm good, it's just hard for me at the moment my darling, trying to contend with my emotions and let it go." Helen's words emphasised her exhaustion.

"Have you heard anything from dad since?" She questioned. Emily didn't want to keep coming back to her troubles but she had to, because bottling them up killed her inside.

"Not a word, n-nothing." She replied.

"Maybe he just needs a little more time to come to his senses and really think about his feelings." Emily posed, thinking hard about why her own father wouldn't contact her.

"Time, I've given him time and plenty of it and I haven't received so much as a phone call. I've waited and waited for so long and for what? So I can sit here day after day waiting for something, something that will never come."

Emily grabbed her mother's hand from across the table and looked directly into her eyes, "I know it's hard for you mum and I know that it means a lot but at some point you're going to have to let it go," she could feel the tears coming and she spoke, "it won't be easy and it will take time, but we have to do it together because he might never come back and we can't sit around waiting for a day that may never arrive." The tears had started to fall, sliding down her face and slowly hitting the table.

Helen put her hand up to Emily's face and wiped away the pieces of sadness floating down her cheek. "It's just so hard for us both at the minute, and it will be hard but I know we can overcome it together. I'm so happy that you've got Evan to help you through it and I am so happy that I've got you. You're all that I will ever need." Her words were filled with hope that she tried to pass on to her daughter. Emily was the only thing keeping her life stable, the only thing that was keeping her from flying off the handle.

"We will have to build our own heaven around us mum, because for us-"

"There is no elsewhere." The words fell out of her mouth along with a tear that slowly slithered down her cheek hitting the table below.

*

Jemima and Naomi walked along the pavement as a mild breeze freshened the autumn air. Naomi strolled casually wearing a pair of faded blue high waist jeans along with a pale pink t-shirt that perfectly matched her silver curls. Jemima wore a pair of black jeans and an oversized shirt, chequered with a deep green and white pattern which accentuated her eyes that glistened beautifully.  

"So why did you head off so early last night?" Naomi asked knowing Jemima must have had good reason to leave early.

"I-I went home." Jemima lied, holding back a grin.

"Come on Jemima I've known you since we were kids, I know when you're lying to me."

"Fine then," she laughed, "I went to meet someone. Are you happy now?"

"What? For real?" Naomi questioned, "I don't believe you."

"Don't ask me to tell you the truth and then tell me I'm lying," she said letting out a laugh as sweet as her graceful tone, "I went home, then went out to meet him."

"I can't believe it, you've kept that one quiet from us haven't you," Naomi said pressing Jemima for more details, "So who is it? How long have you been talking? How come you haven't told any of us?" She bombarded, intrigued to find out more.

"Woah, calm down with all of the questions Naomi," Jemima laughed, "He's more of a friend really, I met him on the night of Evan's party and he's in a relationship with someone else so it isn't really anything special."

"A friend? What other friends do you meet in the early hours that I don't know about," she replied jokingly, "surely you have feelings for him?"

"I guess there are some feelings there, but I know nothing is ever going to happen between us, we're just friends."

"How could anyone not chose you over someone else? You're like the definition of perfect."

"You're too kind Naomi although you have to say that because you're my friend." Jemima blushed.

"Honestly I'm not just saying it, anybody would be the luckiest person in the world to have someone like you."

"He obviously doesn't want to be that person." Jemima answered, her voice contained a certain tinge of sadness that lingered in the air.

*

Adriana called the number that was written on the paper and after two beeps was answered by a familiar voice that she had been longing for.

"Hey Ade, how are you feeling on this wonderful morning?" Matt answered with an overjoyed tone that brought a smile to Adriana's face.

"I'm feeling great," she replied, "how did you know it was me? How come you left without telling me? You had me so worried."

"I'm happy to hear that beautiful, who else would be ringing me on an unsaved number? I didn't want to disturb your sleep plus I thought it would be a nice surprise for you to wake up and find my number." His voice was charming and gave Adriana a strong feeling of content.

"You scared me to death," Adriana's words were blissful, "I thought it had all just been a big dream, I thought that you'd never come back and I was still sat here waiting for you, alone."

"Don't worry it's all real," he said as they both laughed down the phone, "So what are your plans for today? Do you want me to pick you in an hour?"

Adriana happily thought about his soft grey eyes as she answered, "Well I was going to spend some time with my mum. I feel like I haven't spoken to her properly in a while but maybe we can do something later?"

"Sure, just call me and let me know when you're ready and I'll come pick you up." Matt's words filled Adriana with happiness.

"Okay well I'll let you know."

"Good stuff, I'll see you later then."

"See you soon, I love you."

"You too my darling," he finished as Adriana ended the call, her thoughts filled with delight. She finally had someone, someone who truly cared for her, someone who would always be there for her, someone that made her feel alive.