Chapter Three: The Reality of Nightmares

"Subject conscious," Dr. Cane-guy says. I look at the fluorescent light above me as he pokes and prods me. I growl when he cuts me, "Will you stop that?" "Test subject angered," he says. I chuckle, "You think I'm angry. Why don't you try being cut multiple times just so the person can watch you heal over and over? Why don't you try being injected with random things to see if you'll survive?" "Test subject improves," he talks to himself. I growl, "Stop ignoring me. You've been doing this for days." He moves to a medical table with scalpels, syringes, and other sharp things as he continuously talks to himself. He comes back with a syringe and stabs it into my neck. I feel my claws digging into the metal. "You want to see me angry," I roar and break a strap struggling to jump at him. I rip another and roar, "I done being your guinea pig." "Alpha-female unmentionably stronger than was projected," Dr. Cane-guy says as the other doctors come in, and I free myself of all of the restraints.

I jump off of the table through the doorway and run. The room is filled with strange capsules with glowing green liquid and people wearing breathing masks. I run around them looking for a way out, and sparks fly from certain areas. A shadowy figure moves quickly causing me to go another way. An opening shows a tunnel, and I run through it. A roar sounds right behind me causing me to run even faster maneuvering through the tunnel system, and whatever it is keeps up. I feel scratches on my back causing me to sprint full speed. I turn one last corner, and the light of day graciously hits my face as I escape my prison. I trip over my feet trying to turn to see what was chasing me. I watch the monster from my dream creeping back into the tunnel, but I need to run before the doctors realize I've actually gotten out. I sprint and dodge cars along with people.

A car screeches to a strong, and Parrish jumps out of the car asking, "Stephanie, is that you?" I stop and look at him. "Parrish," I say. He looks me up and down, "You look like you dipped in a tub of blood." "Thank you for saying that because that is what I really needed to hear after escaping from my captors," I sass. He looks at me like I'm concerned, "That's why I haven't seen you for almost a week?" "Do you really think I would exaggerate about being taken," I ask giving him a look. He shakes his head, "No." "I'm done with this conversation. I need to get to my brother's," I sigh starting to walk. He says, "Wait. I can give you a ride." "That would probably help the police station from calls about a girl covered in blood," I say getting into the car. Dad's house comes into view, and Parrish pulls into the driveway.

Bursting into my dad's house, I ask breathlessly, "Is anyone home?" Stiles runs downstairs nearly falling and hugs me. "You're bloody but alive," he sniffles. I hug him tight, but a cracking noise causes me to release. I apologize, "Sorry. I didn't mean to break you." "It's okay, but maybe not so tight next time," he says as I set both of his arms. I nod, "Yea." "Let me call Scott," he says pulling out his phone. Scott answers the phone, "Did you find a clue?" "Something better than that," Stiles says. Scott asks, "What do you mean?" "Come over and find out," Stiles says and hangs up. I say, "I'm going to take a shower. Do you have clothes I can borrow?" "Yea, I'll set them on the counter," he says, and I go into the bathroom. I turn the water on then strip from my bloody clothes. I stuff then into the trash before stepping into the hot water. I wash my hair three times and scrub my skin of all the dry blood. When I actually feel clean, I turn the water off getting out of the shower and dry off. I put on my brother's clothes, and as soon as I open the bathroom door, Scott attacks me with a hug.

"Scott, I can't breathe," I say, and he lets me go. Scott takes a step back, "My bad." "I didn't mean that you had atop hugging me," I say, but he shakes his head. He explains, "I'm not the only one here to see what Stiles found that was better than a clue." I run out to the living room to see Brett in tears as he sees me, and he says, "Steph." My body koalas him before my mind comprehends. "Brett," I say as the tears start to roll down my face, and his arms hold me to him. I look into his eyes, and he kisses all over my face until the last one ends up on my lips. He pulls away, but I grab his face pulling him back in then pull away, "I missed you so much, Brett." "I tried to save you. I failed and watched one of my worst nightmares come to life. I tried," he says resting his forehead on mine. I wipe his tears, "I know you tried. That is all that matters, and it isn't your fault I was taken." "But I wasn-," he starts to say something, but I put my hand over his mouth. I say to the three of them, "It. Is. Not. Your. Fault. It is not Brett's fault. It isn't Stiles' fault, and it isn't Scott's fault either." "Stephanie, if I didn't get irritated with you abouth the dreams and memories, you wouldn't have snapped and had to run to protect Britney," Stiles says. I climb down from Brett and face Stiles, "You were trying to figure out what was wrong, but that does not make this your fault." "Yes, it does," he says angering me. I roar, "Stop blaming yourself." He flinches because of my outburst, and my jaw drops from shock about what I just did. I look down, "I'm sorry."

"What did they do to you," Scott asks taking a step toward me. I say, "They kept cutting me and watching me heal, and they gave me a bunch of shots to see how my body reacted to them." "Did you get away after they gave you something," Stiles asks. I answer, "Yes, but Dr. Cane-guy also was persistent about ignoring me, so I was agitated." "We need to get you to the vet for blood tests," Scott says taking my arm leading me outside. I give him a look, "Scott, I am not a delinquent. I can walk to the car just fine." He releases me and slowly backs away, and I feel funny. I look at him and ask not sounding like myself, "Scott, what's happening to me?" "I have no idea," he say still backing away. I turn to look at Brett, and he just stares at me frozen where he stands. I close my eyes and shake, and Scott asks, "Steph, do you know what they gave you?" "No," I whimper, and I feel myself being lifted and put into what I would guess as Stiles' trunk. I feel terrible, and the vehicle jerks me around. I roar in pain, and Scott says, "Stiles, be careful." He must have pulled behind the vet because I am lifted again, and Scott says, "Dr. Deaton, she needs your help." I feel the cold metal on my back then my eyes open wide, and he asks, "What happened to her?" "The Dread Doctors took her and basically tortured her," Stiles says as my body spasms. My eyes roll back, and a ringing is loud in my ears.