Chapter Seventeen: Damsel in Distress

I put on a nice dress and flats, and Brett leans on the doorway in a dress shirt and tie sighing, "Beautiful." "You're not so bad yourself," I giggle and turn to look at him instead of the reflection. He smiles and bows, "Why thank you, my lady." "Are you my knight in shining armor now," I cross my arms smiling. He shakes his head, "I wouldn't save you with a sword or ride in on a horse, but you are my queen." He lifts me off my feet, and I squeal, "Put me down." "Yes, Lady McCall," he says in a fake British accent setting me back on my feet. I snort then cover my face, "You're such a dork." "Yes, but I'm your dork," he says, "That snort though." "It's time to go," mom yells from downstairs. I yell, "Coming." I grab Brett's hand leading him downstairs to mom's car.

Mom drives us to the stadium and drops Brett and me off by the field. She goes to find a parking spot, and Brett leads my to the bleachers. "Stephanie," Liam calls, and I sit next to him. I smile but whisper, "Be alert. We don't know if the Beast will show himself here." "Of course," Liam whispers back giving me a hug. We pull away, and he says normally, "So, Stiles says you're going to have atleast one baseball player." "We'll see, but yea. I'm having atleast one boy," I smile, and Brett squeezes my hand causing me to look at him. I ask, "What is it, love?" He gestures toward the trees, and I look to see a large, dark figure running further into the foliage. He says, "You look beautiful." "Thank you," I say turning back to him. I pull out my phone and groupchat, "The Beast sighted." I act completely normal just in case Colby is watching me. He knows my body language so well that it scares me, and I hope I'm not giving anything away. "I'm huge," I pout and rub my stomach, "I just want them to pop out already." "You're still beautiful," Brett says caressing my cheek and kisses my forehead. I smile, "You're supposed to say that, but thank you, love." "Hey, Steph," Hayden says sitting down next to Liam. I look at her, "Hi, Hayden." "You look beautiful," she says grabbing my hand. I squeeze her hand, "So do you. This purple is your color." "Why thank you. Your gold eyeshadow brings out the green in your eyes," she says causing the boys to sigh. Brett says, "Girl talk." "Not getting into it," Liam says, and Hayden and I chuckle. I say, "I would hope not. I hope you have 'bro talk' and not girl talk." "But you have bro talk, Steph," Hayden says. I shrug, "You have to remember I grew up with more boys than girls. I had to adapt." "I see," Liam says laughing a little. I excuse myself to "use the restroom."

I sneak into the trees and search for Colby, and he steps in front of me wrapping his arms around me. I gasp, and he just holds me. I ask, "What are you doing here?" "My sister is graduating," he says, and I look him in the eyes. I pull myself out of his arms, and he sighs, "I don't want to hurt anyone." "That doesn't mean you won't," I say, and he looks at me sincerely. I sigh, "I don't understand you." "No one ever has," he says looking at his feet. I sigh, "I know how that feels." "I know," he says, and I give him a look of concern. I ask, "What made you change your mind about your rampage?" "I saw how the glimmer of hope and love in your eyes vanish because of me, and you became the very thing you were afraid of," he confesses, "I made the same realization of myself." "You want me to save you, don't you," I say as his expression changes, and he looks at me hopeful. I sigh, "Looks like I'm going to be left with what I've lost as the martyr I am." "We're saving him now," Tracy growls, and I look up to the sky thinking, "Son of mother frick." "Hi, Tracy. Hayden. Corey," Colby says, and Tracy puts me behind her and Hayden while they growl, and Corey holds me protectively. I put my hands on one of their shoulders, and they calm slightly, "We have a graduation to attend." "Fine," Tracy says then growls one last time at Colby as does Hayden. I think to myself, "How am I going to do this?"

We take our seats as the principal stands at the podium and starts the seniors introduction. I watch as the graduating class walks across the field to their seats, and tears form when I watch Lydia, Scott, Stiles, Theo, and Kira make it to the chairs. Lydia is the Valedictorian, and she gives her speech and Allison's memorial speech which she ended with moving over a tassel on an unworn cap, "We made it with you in our hearts." The tears are free falling down most people's faces, and I just lean on Brett who wasn't even crying. Lydia wipes her eyes and returns to her seat, and the seniors begin to walk. I cheer as my family is called, "Lydia Martin... Scott McCall.... I would try to say this but I'd get it wrong.. Stiles Stillinski... Theodore Raeken.... Kira Yukimura..," and I see the overly hard work paid off for them. I couldn't be more proud, and the caps go flying into the air. I get up and walk to the field trying to make it to my brothers, but my surroundings begin to flicker, and I fade into the arms of the Dread Doctors before I could yell for help.