Chapter Twenty: What do you see?

I growl running away from Colby, "I'm not going back." "You don't have a choice," he says, "because they didn't give me one besides bringing you back." "You are stupid if you think I'm going to let that happen," I say running as fast as I can into the woods. I hear him growl in frustration and laugh, "You're upset because I know these woods better than you do." "I'm frustrated because they'll kill me if I don't bring you back," he growls trying to keep up, "and you are a lot faster than you were." I chuckle, "I'll kill you if you do." "I'll take my chances," he says as I maneuver through the trees. He trips as I make it to the old Hale house and keep running because I know he is more afraid of the doctors than of me. I hear him start running again and growl, "I'm not going back to them." "You have to," he growls back. I say, "I'm running for more than just my life." I launch myself off of a small cliff into water, and he roars, "You know I can't swim." "That's why I did this," I say swimming with the current for a while.

I'm soaked as I walk toward Lydia's cabin, and the wind chills me to the bone, so I rush. I grab the secret key from its hiding spot and unlock the door. The door opens, and I sigh closing it behind me. I go into the bathroom stripping my wet clothes from me and put the hanging robe on. Taking the dripping clothes into the laundry room, I throw them into the washer, and the machine starts as I press the button. I go into the kitchen and look in the pantry grabbing a can of soup. I put the pan on the stove to geat it up, and the smell of the food makes my mouth water. I savor the food as I eat it, and the washer dings as I wash the dishes. I switch the clothes over to the dryer and return to the kitchen to put away the dishes. I finish and go into the bathroom. I sigh looking in the mirror, "Why has my life become this?" I look into my own eyes and see all of my vulnerability. "I'm supposed to be an alpha, and I can't get over my own instability," I think to myself. The voices ask, "What do you see? Do you see your anxiety? Your anger? Your demons?" "I see a predator that has become the prey, and a mother that frightened to bring her children into this world," I say as a tear runs down my cheek, "Being an alpha can only get you so far."

"Kitten, I think I found you," Colby says coming into view behind me. I shut down my other feelings and growl spinning around choking him. I roar, "You've given me no choice." He becomes the giant creature, and I become a slightly smaller version of him. He looks at me frightened and asks, "What happened to you?" "I've been shattered," I growl and get lifted up and out of the bathroom. I headbutt him, and he drops me, so I catch myself and jump at him roaring and rake my claws across his face. He falls back, and I land on top of him. He punches me, and we get flipped over, but I kick him off of me breaking the coffee table. I see the open door and run out of it, and he growls. I sprint holding the robe closed and talk to my tummy, "I'm sorry, babies. I'll get us out of this. I'll do anything to save you. Mama loves you and promises to give my all to protect you." I weave through the obstacles of trees and rocks making sure to keep my promise. The street lights come into view, and I thank God for them. I still hear Colby's loud thuds as I make it into the street still running for dear life, and he growls as I do. I keep going as he stops at the edge of the woods snarling, and I think to myself, "Where am I supposed to go?" "Home," the voices say. I smile and murmur, "Brett."

I make it to Satomi's house, and there are no cars. It breaks me finally, and I cry out, "They took everything from me." "What are you talking about," I hear as his arms wrap around me holding me close. I bawl my eyes out and turn in his arms, "I'm so broken. They broke me." "I think you have finally let yourself truly feel your pain from everything," Brett says raking his fingers through my hair. I tell him, "The doctors sent Colby to take me to an appointment, but I ran." "I thought he wanted to be saved," he says confused. I say, "He fears them more than anyone could imagine." "Where did you go," he asks. I sigh, "I was going to leave town, but he chased me into the woods. He doesn't know how to swim, so I jumped into the stream and went to Lydia's cabin. He found me there, and we fought until I sprinted out the door. He stopped at the edge of the woods, and I ran here. I ran to you." "You were going to leave town," he asks. I nod, "Yes, but only to make sure they would be okay." "I understand. I just hope you would have called when you got where you were going," he sighs. I look up at him, "What did I tell you?" He looks into my eyes as I answer my own question, "Home is you." "You're my everything," he says with tears in his eyes, and I see everything I saw in my eyes in the mirror at the cabin. I kiss him, and the rain starts to dwindle. I pull away and say, "I'm sorry for everything I've done." "You did what you had to," he says wiping the tears from my cheeks, "I would have done the same thing." I wipe his tears, "I love you so much, Brett Quentin Talbot." "I love you too, Stephanie Camden McCall," he says. I lay my head on his chest, and he asks, "Can I just call you Stephanie Camden Talbot already?" "I'd be more than okay with that," I say looking back at him.