Chapter Ten: Why? Just.. Why?

School is almost too easy, and I don't know why, but it doesn't bother me. I am already caught up, so I help Brett, and he is getting there. "So, this goes into the equation then use the distributive process to find the answer," I say explaining the last page for chemistry. He works out the problem then looks up at me as he says, "Like that?" "Exactly," I smile, and he sits me on his lap putting his hands on my baby bump. He lays his head on my shoulder, "Thank you, baby." "I like helping you, so it's no problem," I say kissing the top of his head then play with his hair. He sighs and rubs my stomach, "Can we just stay like this?" "We don't have anything else to do right now, so I suppose so," I giggle softly. Mom walks over to the fridge smiling at us, "You two are sweet to each other." "It just kinda happens," Brett says into my shoulder. Mom asks, "What song do you want your dance with your brothers to be, Steph?" "Umm.. What are Scott and Stile thinking," I ask, and she answers, "They left it to you." "Of course they did... I'd have to look through some songs," I say grabbing my phone with my free hand. I scroll through my music, and Brett suggests chuckling, "What about Fire 'N' Gold by Bea Miller?" "That's actually a pretty good choice besides the joke that was intended," I say poking his nose. Mom asks, "What's the joke?" "Scott's and my eyes are red, and Stiles' are gold. Fire is kinda red, and gold is gold," I explain, and she starts laughing.

I get up, and Brett huffs, "Steepphhh?" "I have to pee," I say. He snorts a little, "That's the third time in an hour." "That's normal for a pregnant woman," mom yells from the living room. I rush to the bathroom, and after I'm done, I go back into the kitchen to discover a kneeling Brett in front of me. "I've been thinking and trying to come up with the perfect time to ask you, and your dad told me that a perfect time will never come," Brett says, and I just stand there silent and mouth wide open. He continues, "Your mom told me the same thing, and I just thought since you're my mate and best friend and we're starting a family that now is as perfect that it can possibly get. Stephanie Camden McCall, will you become Stephanie Camden Talbot?" I am still stunned and silent. My mom puts her hands on my shoulders, "Your father and I gave our blessing if you say yes." "I...," I say finally realizing that this is actually happening. Brett starts to look worried, but I grab his hand making him stand up and put the ring on my finger, "Brett Quentin Talbot, I will marry you." He carefully picks me up and spins me around kissing me. Scott asks, "What is this? She is turning seventeen in a week, and it's okay for her to get engaged? He just turned seventeen yesterday." "Scott, they are mates," mom says. He says, "I get that, but they are too young." "Who are you to tell me that I'm too young Scott," I yell because he ruined the moment, "I am not your child, and my parents gave their okay." "You aren't even eighteen yet," he says. I poke his chest hard, "You can not tell me that if you found your mate and were expecting a baby that you wouldn't ask her to marry you, Scott!" "I wouldn't know, Steph," he says then mumbles, "The odds aren't that great to find a mate." "Are you upset that I'm engaged 'too young' or that I found my mate," I ask softening my tone. He starts to say something but stops himself then whispers, "Congratulations, sis." He walks away, and I say, "Bubba, wait." He doesn't even look back, and I look at mom, but she shakes her head, "Give him some space."

I walk quickly outside and get in my car driving to Derek's loft, and my phone keeps ringing, so I put it on silent. I walk up the stairs and rush into the loft yelling, "Derek?" "He's not here," Braeden says, and I sigh. I ask, "Do you know where he is?" "No, why," she says, and Corey walks up to me pointing at my hand, "Stephy bear, that was not there last time I saw you, and that was yesterday." "I need to talk to Derek," I look at him, "I will talk about the ring later." "Why do you need to talk to Derek," Cora asks. I answer, "I need information." "Information on what," she asks. I sass, "Important stuff. Do you know where he is or not?" "He went to go talk to Scott," she says. I sigh turning to leave, "Thank you." I run into who I'm looking for, and Derek grabs my shoulders, so I don't fall. He says, "I heard you were looking for me." "Yes," I say straightening my shirt as he let me go. He crosses his arms, "Is it about Scott?" "Did he say something," I ask, and he shakes his head. He says, "No, I just know when Scott is sad about you. Just like he has a mopey Allison look, he has a look for you." "Oh. I did not know that," I look down. Corey says, "Is Scott upset about the ring?" "I'm not here about my engagement, Corey," I raise my voice looking at Corey but instantly find myself being hugged. Corey cheers, "Yes!" "Corey, you are crushing my shoulders," I say, and he opens his arms stepping back.

I turn to Derek, "I need to ask you some questions." "Who said I was going to answer questions if you asked them," he chuckles, and I give him a serious look and put my hands on my hips. I sass, "Do you think I'm in joking mood anymore?" "No," he says, "but I still find it humorous for a five, three teenager to have so much fury in her." I growl, and he puts his hands up in surrender, "Okay. Okay. What do you need to know, Stephy bear?" "I only let Corey call me that," I scowl at him, "I need to speak with you in private about Scott." "Is it about the mate thing," he asks genuinely intrigued. I say, "It might be." "Okay... Meet me at the first super broken place," he says giving me a look like I should know what he is talking about. I think to myself, "What? First broken place?" "Okay. I'll meet you there in half an hour," I say and go around him walking to my car.

I sit in my car thinking, "First super broken place?" "Oh my god," I say as the memory floods me. I jolt awake and look around. I hear a howl from long distance. "Scott," I say. His howl echos as a siren to help. He needs help, and I can't. I growl, "I can't just sit here." I get angry as I think what could be happening. I roar and snap. I charge at the door, and the house shakes. I kick and punch and charge at the door until it starts the crumble. I growl, "I'm coming, Scott." I kick it as hard as I can, and it caves. I walk out of the house and howl to my brother. He doesn't howl back. I run as fast as I can to find him using his scent. I run into the library, and Mason and my mom are sitting by my brother. Mom is crying, "Scott, you are an alpha. You can not die like this." She hits chest hard, and Scott gasps for breath. "Steph, how did you get out of that room," he asks as he realizes I'm standing there. I growl still angry, "I heard you howl, so I beat the crap out of that door." "What are you talking about," mom questions. I tell my mom a half truth, "I locked myself in a concrete reinforced room." "And you broke out of that," Mason asks completely in awe. I nod getting irritated. "I need to find a new place to lock myself up," I growl as I feel myself start to snap. I look up to see the moon in the window, and I roar rumbling the foundation of the library. I look at Scott and turn to run, but Derek is standing there with a few of his friends. "Isaac? Ethan? Danny? Braeden? What are you guys doing here," Scott asks. Derek answers, "She broke a very heavy-duty concrete reinforced room. She is dangerous." I roar at them, "Get out of my way. I don't want to hurt you." "The old Hale house," I say out loud turning my car on.

I park in front of the house, and Scott is there instead of Derek. "Scott," I say and slowly approach him. He roars, "They're both gone." "Bubba, what are you talking about," I ask stopping in my tracks, and he looks at me growling. His eyes are closed, but his fangs and claws are out. I run back to my car and as soon as I shut the door, Scott jumps onto the roof of my car. I turn on my car, and he busts my windshield. I climb into the back seat as fast as I can, and he drops onto the hood. I open the door changing in the car, and he roars. I launch myself into a full stride, and he is chasing me. I howl and keep running because he is starting to turn and run faster. I think to myself, "Why is Derek not here, and what is wrong with my brother?" I feel Scott nip at my tail, so I turn around surprising him, and he keeps going forward as I run the opposite direction. It takes a few moments until his hazy self realizes, and I am back in my car naked racing away. I dial Derek, and he answers, "Did you guys figure stuff out?" "No, we did not. Something is wrong with him, and he started trying to attack me," I say quickly, "Scott is actually still chasing my car at sixty miles per hour through the woods, and I'm naked because I had to change to trick him, so I could get back to my car to get away, Derek!" He is silent, and I roar, "Did you figure stuff out?!"