Chapter Fifteen: Searching

I wake up in Brett's arms on his bed, and Britney's face is in front of mine. I smile at her, "Hi, sweetheart." "I was waiting for you to wake up," Britney says. I say, "I am now. How long did I sleep?" "About sixteen hours," Brett says, and I jump in surprise. I turn my head and say, "Maybe next time give me a warning." "I'm sorry, beautiful," he says kissing my temple. I giggle, "It's fine." "You seem more like yourself," he smiles, and I nod. I say, "I feel a thousand times less delusional." "I'm glad you feel that way," Satomi walks in, "because I had a look at your board of research, and I found another clue." I get up and follow Satomi to my board, and she points to a paper. "I didn't write that," I say, and she nods. She says, "You personally didn't write it, but you did. You were unconscious," and reads the paper, "In order to win what you have lost, you must lose everything and more. Who you are is everything, and you must lose your first love." "The dreams are similar, but you were thinking it was how to find the Beast, but it was how to get it all back," she says. I say, "It isn't possible to get it all back." "I know that, but you can get everything that is possible to get back," she say touching my forehead, "Memories are quite precious, and you lost that too." I look dawn at my feet asking, "What if I can't bring myself back? What if my worst fears come to life, and I become the monster I've always thought I was?" "You're incapable of that, my dear," she says then leaves me alone with my research.

I read the paper over a hundred times and drive myself insane, and the next full moon is in two weeks, the night of the wedding. "I thought you felt better," Brett says spinning me around and tilts my face up. I sigh, "I did." "And not anymore," he asks, and I avoid eye contact causing him to sigh. I say, "Did she tell you what she found?" "Yes," he answers, "She did, and I know you're not a monster and you'll never be one." "How do you know," I say stepping away from his touch. He says, "Even when you snap, you've never killed anyone." "I've come close to it," I say looking at him. He says, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades." "I'm literally a ticking time bomb, Brett," I say, and he gives me a look. He says, "You had reasons everytime." "Oh really? How about almost killing my brother? Oh oh, what about almost killing Liam," I say, "I must of had probable cause to kill the people close to me, right?" "Stephanie, your eyes are red, and you're growling at me," he says. I bring my hand up feeling my mouth, and my fangs are there. I feel something sharp poke my lip and remove my hand from my face to find claws instead of my nails. I growl, "I told you! I'm not in control. I'm a monster." "Steph, you're not a monster," he growls back. I start to charge roaring, but I stop myself right before inpact. I growl and run around him, and he says, "I told you that you're not a monster."

I run out of the house and sit on the ground breathing in the air. I can't deal with this, but it won't go away. "Brett," I roar, "Bring me back!" Brett doesn't come, and I cry, "Brett, I need you. I can't do this by myself." "Yes, you can," Brett says standing in the doorway, "You just don't realize it." "What are you talking about," I say in a normal tone, and my own voice catches me by surprise. I look down, and my nails are there, not my claws. I feel my teeth with my tongue, and they are human. I sigh in astonishment, "H-How? How did I do that?" "Because you believed that I wasn't coming," he answers, "and you were reacted subconsciously." "I didn't," I say, but he shakes his head. He sighs looking down at his feet, "I would have thought the same thing. We both have abandonment and trust issues." "Brett, no matter what my subconscious believed, I hoped that it was wrong because I love you," I speak softly. He looks at me but doesn't say anything, and I watch my mate walk inside brokenhearted. My tears betray me and pour down my face, and I stand up against my will and walk away from the house. "I'm sorry," I murmur looking back before I start running.

I reach the middle of the woods and yell, "I know you're out here." My voice bounces off the trees until silence envelopes it and kills the sound. "Show yourself, you little shit," I growl, and a chuckle responds. A hand caresses my stomach, "I see you're full of life." "Peter," I grab the hand crushing it with a satisfying crunch. I swing him into a tree growling, "Don't touch my belly." "Aww, you're already getting all maternal. That's adorable," Peter smiles mischievously getting to his feet. I snarl, "I almost killed my own brother for putting my unborn child in danger. So, what do you think?" "I think you have serious issues," he says shrugging. I chuckle, "You're one to talk, Peter." "Exactly why my opinion would have some weight," he says smirking. I give him a award winning smile and say in a polite tone, "I hesitated with my brother, but I could watch the life drain from your body in a pool of blood, and I wouldn't blink twice." "Sadistic little mind of yours, you got there. I like it," he growls. I laugh, "I'm glad you think so." "Does your baby daddy know how twisted you are? Maybe I should tell him," he smiles. "He knows I have demons," I smile. He frowns sarcastically, "Does he know how evil those pesky things are?" "Do you even know," I growl, "I mean. Am I an angel compared to you?" "but sadly I can't stay and chat. Buh bye, I'm going out of town for a bit." He runs deeper into the woods, and I growl, "Dang it." "Now, we have another asshole to deal with," I think to myself.

I walk back to Brett's house and go into the family room. I take a seat at the piano and play softly, and the words come fluently and beautiful. "Is this you trying to let me in," Brett asks sitting next to me and wipes my tears away. I look into his eyes, and they show the same vulnerability in them that I have in mine. He whispers, "I'm yours, Stephanie. " "And I'm yours, Brett," I whisper, "No matter how broken I am." "I want to be your forever," he caresses my cheek. I kiss him and pull away, "As long as I'm your eternity." "I planned on that," he smiles. I smile, "I did too." "You two conflict yourselves but come back home to eachother," Satomi says softly, and Brett and I look at her. I say, "Home isn't a place for me. Home is him." "I know, alpha," she says smiling, "You just had to learn that for yourself."