Chapter 3: The Dark Echo

Chapter 3

The Dark Echo

||Camp Half-Blood, Long Island Sound ||

*Annabeth Chase's Point Of View*

~A year later~

It's been a year since I've made the biggest mistake of my life. I've let the only person that I love go. I don't know what made me go to Timothy. I still don't know how but it was like I've been controlled by an eidolon which isn't possible. No demon could enter it. Our best guess is that he had some potion that made him control us. Hecate and her children suspect it strongly and began investigating. Everyone is furious at him. He became an outcast and hated but still he remained arrogant as ever.

Every day, every night, every second of the day Percy's betrayed and angry face etched in my mind. His coldness seeping through my bones. I regret what I did and I don't know if he'll ever forgive me.

Everyone had started looking for him since then. Troops after troops coming back with nothing. A week after I've gotten over the shock, I jumped up from the bed with determination to find him and went to Chiron. He gave me permission knowing he couldn't stop me, besides he's also worrying about Percy. He was like a son to him. I travel all over the country, looking for him. I come back to Camp Half-Blood once in two weeks at least to take a break for maybe about three days then I'm off again.

A cloud of sadness and shame hung over everyone for driving the greatest hero to live away. Every day of not finding him is driving me insane. He could be out there somewhere, in trouble even if he can handle himself, but there's a churning feeling in my stomach that I can't get rid of.

It was like a switch has been flipped for the Gods too. Suddenly, they're around their kids more. Poseidon however, is worse. His guilt heavily weighing down on him as he sends troops looking for him. In the ocean or around the world. He looks the same, but you can tell by his posture, slacked and the jolly Poseidon we know is gone.

His disappearance changed everyone for the second time around.

He will and always be a hero.

Percy couldn't be dead because if he is, Hades would tell us, but his soul wasn't in the Underworld. Nico spends his time with the Underworld more than the Camp now. His hatred burning bright for us, probably like Percy. I can't blame him.

The hunters too are looking for him, getting frustrated each day pass and no trace of him. The Roman Camp are furious at us but is helping nonetheless.

"Do you think we'll ever find him?" Hazel asked me once, her brown eyes brimming with tears. My throat clogged up, unable to answer because honestly, I have no idea.

I didn't answer.

Blackjack had retreated. He wouldn't let anyone approach him unless for food, or he'll bite your head off with the exception of Nico. Mrs. O'Leary had suddenly gone quiet, but then a month later on she followed Nico. I guess it's better with him than at the place where the people who betrayed her master stayed.

The camp had become more gloomy. Nothing was ever the same since that night. And will never be.

I miss him.

'Oh, Percy. '

~

*Thalia Grace's Point of View*

Each passing day was frustrating than ever not being able to find one of my best friends. He doesn't deserve this. He deserves better. I should leave and give up and let him live the life he chooses but I'm worried about him. The monsters are attracted to him like magnet and what if he's hurt and dying somewhere?