{ prologue } chocolate chip cookies

"Grandmère, I want a cookie," the girl asked her grandmother. Her head barely reached the top of the kitchen island. She had to stand on her toes in order to see a bit of her grandmother standing in front of the counter next to the stove. She was rolling dough, her strong arms moving the rolling pin back and forth.
She didn't even turn to acknowledge her granddaughter before saying, "En français."
"S'îl vous plaît, je voudrais un biscuit, s'îl vous plaît?" the girl asked in her most innocent voice. She even used please twice as Grandmère became happy when she used her manners. She really wanted that cookie. The smells of the already baked batch wafted up her nose as she started drooling.
"Non," the grandmother replied simply in her thick French accent, still not turning around.
The girl stayed quiet. She moved her hands up and down and made extremely silly faces. Grandmère still didn't turn around.
If she didn't turn around for that, then she won't turn around if she quickly stole a cookie.
The girl looked left and right. She stared at the back or Grandmère's head as her hand hovered over the plate of cookies.
"Bonnie, if you touch a single one of those cookies, it will be the last one you'll ever touch!" Grandmère said sharply. The girl whipped her hand back and put both hands behind her back.
"But, Grandmère!" she whined.
"You heard me!"
The girl put her hands on her hips.
"Well, if you won't let me have some of your cookies, I'll just make my own. Then we'll see whose is better!"
The girl raced upstairs and into her room, her dirty blond hair flying from the back of her head. She quickly grabbed her apron off the closet hook. On her small desk was a paper hat that said "Bonnie's Bakery" in childlike handwriting. The same writing was on her apron.
She walked over to her play kitchen set where there was a toy baking oven. The girl found the mixing packets that would make chocolate chip cookies. On the baking oven, over top of the brand name "Easy Bake" was a large piece of tape with "Bonnie's Bakery" in the same childlike handwriting.
Carrying all her supplies, she waddled back downstairs.
She loudly dropped all of her supplies on the kitchen island. The girl pulled out a stool and stood on top of it.
Her Grandmère looked back at her and smiled.
"Now, we can see who has the best chocolate chip cookies," the girl said.
The girl went straight to work. She moved with such precision for a seven year old. Her careful measurements resulted in her taking about 45 minutes to make the cookies. Just in time for Grandmère's second batch of cookies to be finished baking.
At the same time, the girl and her grandmother put a plate of cookies on the table, the girl's cookies significantly smaller than the grandmother's.
"Maintenant, on goûte." The grandmother and the girl reached for the girl's cookies at the same time.
As the grandmother continued chewing, a small smile grew on her face.
"C'est bon. Bonnie, this is really good. Bonnie's Bakery gets five stars."
The girl beamed. She always loved when Grandmère praised her baking skills.
"Now yours!" The girl didn't even wait for her grandmother to be ready. She snatched a cookie from the plate and gobbled it in one bite.
"Mhmmm"she murmured as she chewed through its chocolatey goodness.
Grandmère laughed as she watched her granddaughter scarf down three more.
She grabbed one more of Bonnie's cookies. She didn't expect something out of an Easy Bake oven to taste somewhat decent.
"You know, mon petit chou, you are going to start your own bakery one day."
The girl stopped chewing and looked at her Grandmère. "You really think so?"
"Vraiment. "Bonnie's Bakery" will be talked about all over town. And I'll be absolutely blessed to see it with my own eyes."