{ 6 } macaroons

{ 6 } macaroons

The shop has quite a few customers seated around the tables. All of them have already ordered and have been served. I'm leaning against the counter, laptop open in front of me with the morning show playing. It's on low volume and has subtitles at the bottom of the screen. None of the customers mind that I'm catching up on the show, they all seem to be absorbed in their own conversations. I see Luis walking across the stage and very flamboyantly giving instructions on how to make apple turnovers. The audience is loving it and continuously cheers every time he does a trick with the dough. I roll my eyes every time he does this and try to figure out why I'm watching this.

"Okay Bonnie, I'm here for the emergency meeting. What did you want to talk about?"

I exited out of my browser and closed the laptop, turning my attention to Jasmin. "Right." I looked out to the customers and slowly nod, trying to get my thoughts together in a coherent piece. "We need to implement new business strategies."

Jasmin nodded slowly as she sat down in a stool in front of me. We stared at each other for a few silent seconds before Jasmin opened her mouth to say, "Do you have any ideas or was this meeting just a plea from you to get me to think of something?"

She cheekily grinned as I rolled my eyes. "Maybe we can have an ad on TV? Plaster flyers all over town?"

Jasmin shook her head and crossed her arms. "That's generic," she said under her breath, her brow now furrowed. "You have to think, when you walk down the street, what makes you want to go inside a business?"

"For you, free stuff," I joked. Just as I said that her eyes popped open.

"That's it!"

"Jasmin, I was joking. I can't give out free stuff. Even if I did, we don't know how long I'd have to do it," I explained. However, the manic glint in her eye did not disappear.

"It'll only have to be for one day! Think about it. Everyone has social media nowadays. Everybody also loves a good party-"

I groaned as soon as she said party. Already I knew where she was going with this. Having a party with tons of people most likely loitering for free food is not as appealing as having a small party with friends.

"I already know what you're thinking. Having a party with a bunch of random strangers in a business that needs quote saving endquote sounds like a risky idea. Well news flash: it's the best idea. Plus, we can have it Christmas themed! Great? Okay! I'll get started on a Bonnie's Bakery Twitter page," she said quickly as she slid the laptop closer to her and opened it.

I stood there for a while, silently, as she typed quickly on the laptop. Maybe having a promotional party won't be such a bad idea. Besides, if the party is a flop, we'd have spent a lot in online advertising which is a plus.

"What day should it be? Are we going to be selling "Bonnie's Bakery" branded items? Do you want live entertainment?" Jasmin started to bombard me with questions about how I wanted the party to go. She mainly made decisions herself giving in to her control freak tendencies. We eventually got so absorbed in party planning that we didn't even notice the bell at the front door ring. It was a rude awakening when we heard a deep, thickly accented voice say, "A Christmas party sounds fun. Too bad I didn't think of it first."

"Zut!" I swore, channeling Grandmere as I shut the laptop and faced Luis. I glared at him as he grinned toothily at the both of us.

"I swear it's gonna be so much fun. But, shh, you can't tell anyone about it until we formally announce it," Jasmin babbled. I telepathically disintegrated her with my laser vision. It didn't do anything, she still sat on the stool, inspecting Luis.

"I feel like I recognize you. Like I've seen you before?" Jasmin continued saying. I couldn't hold it in any longer. I actually facepalmed. Fortunately, Luis didn't take notice.

"Have you been to Sugar Rush before?" Luis asked proceeding to lean against the counter. Jasmin turned towards him on her stool and tucked her long hair behind her ears.

"Yeah, a few times..." she started thoughtfully before recognition filled her face. "Hey. You're cake pop guy at Sugar Rush!"

"That would be me," Luis replied with a soft small smile, "Although, Luis is easier on the tongue than cake pop guy, don't you think?"

Jasmin smiled at him while I barfed in my mouth.

"Now, cheri, I do not mean to be frank, but are you going buy anything?" I drawled at Luis, my voice dripping with sarcasm and irony. He got the dig and had the audacity to chuckle.

"I think I'll try something different," he ran his hand along the length of the counter, inspecting all the baked goods inside. "I think I'll try a macaroon. I assume they'll taste spectacular."

I bent down behind the counter and grabbed a few macaroons for him and wrapped it in a paper package. "Well," I replied, "I know they'll be the best you'll ever taste because I made them. And the best you'll ever taste costs seven dollars and ninety five cents."

Luis reached into his pocket and pulled out the money. "At least it's not too much of a loss if it isn't the best," he gave me a snarky grin as he took the paper bag from my hand. What is it with him and his multi expression smiles? "Until next time." He gave me a small finger salute and walked out the door.

As soon as we heard the bell at the front door signifying his departure, Jasmin turned to look at me faster than I thought possible.

"Damn, he's attractive!"

I just rolled my eyes and turned to walk into the kitchen and up to the second level of the building.

Behind my back I heard, "What? Did I say something wrong? He is attractive!"

I agreed with her, Luis is hot. I just didn't want anyone else to know that I thought so.

° ° °