{ 1 } pineapple upside down cake

I covered my mouth with hands and squealed. I couldn't believe this was actually happening. Blinking my eyes three times, the sight in front of me still hasn't changed. I squealed again.

"Will you stop screaming and just open the door, Bonnie?"

Turning my head, I saw Jasmin, my best friend, standing next to me with her arms crossed, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Is it so wrong to want to cherish this moment?"

"Take a picture then, and open the dang door!" she replied in a calculated manner, her pierced eyebrow raised in annoyance.

I shook my head and inserted the key, hands visibly shaking. The door swung into the shop revealing a large room with a high ceiling and an empty floor. The main source of light came from the panel of windows at the front of the shop. There weren't any pieces of furniture and the paint on the wall was chipping. Even in its destitute state, I couldn't help but sigh happily in all its undecorated glory because one fact remained: the place was officially mine.

"Woah, we have a lot of work to do if this place is going to open in a week," Jasmin breathed as she walked around the shop. She swiped her fingers along the wall and looked at her hand in disgust as she collected a large amount of dust. "What time is the equipment truck coming?"

"In about thirty minutes," I estimated as I glanced at my watch.

"Good. That gives us enough time to sweep the place a little. With the amount of dust in here, thirty minutes alone is enough to give us hay fever. I have a few cleaning supplies in the trunk of my car. I'll be right back," she declared, pulling her bouncy dark hair into a ponytail and heading out the glass door.

I turned my attention back to the dilapidated shop. Years of baking in my grandmother's kitchen led to this moment. Years of culinary school, where I knew more than all the students combined, led to this moment. Standing here right now in this run down studio complex, I couldn't be happier.

I walk over to the wide window sill and set my purse down in the corner, not caring how much dust I was spreading around. Reaching into my purse, I pulled out a small frame that held a photograph of me wearing crudely decorated apron and hat, holding a tray of chocolate chip cookies. To think I'm going from childishly drawing "Bonnie's Bakery" on everything to having an official logo blows my mind. I knew that the picture had to go somewhere in the shop, but I was unsure where at that moment. Smiling, I put the picture frame back.

"What on earth are you doing?!" Jasmin had come back into the shop, clad in rubber yellow apron, gloves, and face mask. She was carrying a broom and mop in one hand and a box of various spray bottles in the other. I have been living with her so I am aware of her neat freak tendencies. But her standing before me looking like a ghost buster for dust and grime, she had reached a whole new level of neat freak.

"Because of your negligence of sanitary rules, you're going to have to burn that purse!"

I shook my head at her incredulously, "I'm not going to burn my purse."

"Not if I have any say in it," she mumbled under her breath as she set the box of spray bottles on the floor.

"You don't actually," I pointed out as I grabbed a pair of gloves before she yells at me again. I proceeded to clean the windows and windowsill first while Jasmin wiped down all the walls.

Together (but mostly with Jasmin's super cleaning powers), the shop was spotless by the time the equipment truck came.

° ° °