{ 9 } honey buns

{ 9 } honey buns

I don't know how many times I've seen the commercial but from day one I was already sick of it. The fact that it was really cliche made it easier for me to hate it. However, Jasmin though it was the cutest commercial ever. I don't think she's remembering the fact that up until recently, we were still finding traces of flour around the shop from the "flour attack". She doesn't believe me when I say it was Luis who probably traced the shop with the flour bombs when he was eavesdropping on our Christmas party plans. Therefore, her continued fondness of him and his stupid free cake pops.

In all seriousness, it's quite frustrating not having any proof to file against him for the flour. When I called the police, I could tell they were trying their best not to laugh at the situation. They said they'd let me know if they found anything. I almost yelled "bullshit!" in their faces. But I thought it was a better punishment to charge them extra for all the cookies they bought after not helping.

Jasmin was now helping me close up the shop. She flipped the sign at the front and walked up to the counter that I was wiping. She stared at me for a while until I finally spoke.

"What?" I asked.

"You're thinking of something," she paused. She saw I wasn't going to say anything so she continued, "You always have that face when you're thinking. You gonna tell me or?"

"Do you really think that Luis did not, in fact, wire the shop with flour bombs in order for me not to have the promotional Christmas party?"

Jasmin heaved a long sigh. "Not this again," she muttered.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Yes this again!" I threw down my rag and disappeared in the kitchen to wash my hands. I came back out and went around the counter to sit at the stool next to Jasmin.

"Tell me why it would be any other person! He would be completely capable of it. He saw I was keeping his business down and couldn't let that happen. Plus, I saw him the day it happened walk past the window and grin. If that's not proof, I don't know what is!"

"Bonnie, this is irrational. Maybe a teenage customer did it as a prank. We have no proof yet. The police are still looking through security footage."

"You know they stopped looking after a day!"

Jasmin gently grabbed my hands. "How about this Bonnie? You don't really know him."

"And you think you know him after shamelessly flirting with him at Sugar Rush's front door so that he can give you a free cake pop is 'knowing him'?"

She lightly punched me in the arm. "Rude!"

I spun around on the stool and rested my head on the counter. She started to rub my back so I closed my eyes.

"Okay, so you really want to catch him. How are you gonna find proof that the police didn't see?"

I stayed quiet for a while. Truth is, I didn't have a plan for finding proof. I just had a feeling he did it. And how ridiculous would saying "my stomach told me" to a police officer be? At this point, I just don't want him to succeed after playing dirty like this. Wait.

My head sprung up and Jasmin almost fell off her stool from my sudden movement.

"We don't find proof. We get even."

° ° °

It was a good thing that it was a cold that night like it was expected to be in mid November. Though it kept my face warm, my ski mask was itchy.

"I'm pretty sure this is illegal."

"Shut up."

Jasmin and I were dragging crates of honey on little red wagons to the back of Sugar Rush. We drove from the bakery to Sugar Rush but Jasmin took extra liberties of driving around the block a bazillion times in order to shake off any tail we might have had. She was extremely worried about the legality of what I had planned. But for someone who was worried about that, she sure was knowledgeable about "crime practices". She was the type that dreamed of living on the edge but really went to bed at 9:00PM.

"Do you know what door we have to go in?"

"Ummm..."

Jasmin stopped in her tracks. I almost ran into her and spilled the carton of honey I was carrying.

"What the-"

"What do you mean you don't know what door we're supposed to go through?" Jasmin whisper screamed.

"We'll figure that out when we see a door. Now shut up and keep moving!"

We continued our journey along the back of the shop until we reached a door.

"See?" I said, a huge grin on my face, "Now pick the lock."

Jasmin heaved a dramatic groan but still moved forward to pick the lock. It took her about 43 seconds. She spread out her arms to let me go first.

I have to be honest, the shop looked even more majestic with just the moonlight from the window cast over it. The treats on all the display shelves looked even more tempting. All of the decorations looked ethereal.

"I suggest we start from the back and work our way back to this door so that we don't get stuck." Jasmin woke me up from my trance. She was using the handle of the wagon as a prop to keep the door open. She picked up two cartons of honey and handed one to me.

"Let's get started."

° ° °

One hour and thirty seven minutes later and the entire shop, floors and walls, were slathered with honey. By the morning, all the honey would be hard and dry and absolutely sticky. Jasmin and I couldn't be more proud of our work.
We quickly ran back to the car and drove back to the bakery. Once we were safe inside, we released all the laughter we were holding in.

"I can't wait to see the look on his face when he can't move one foot without getting stuck!"