{ 25 } icecream

{ 25 } ice cream

I cover my mouth with my fist and sharply inhale before I remove my hand and let out a breathy scream. There's no one else in the room to see me flailing my arms around and bouncing around in excitement at what I just read. I keep telling myself that this was a mistake, but the piece of paper I hold in my hand addressed to me is very much reality. It's completely unexpected really, my acceptance into the Pastry Guild. It's been years since a bakery that's been open for only a year was up for the running, let alone nominated. I refold the envelope and put it in my bedside drawer, making a mental note to frame the letter and hang it up. I get out of my bed, grinning like the Chesire cat, I'm so elated.
Since it's Sunday, there's no need for me to get up early and open the shop. I walk over to the bathroom to brush my teeth and pull my hair into a nice ponytail before getting dressed and putting on my shoes to head out. The backpack that I use as a purse is at the door so I'm able to grab it before heading out in the direction of the park.
At the park, the first thing I find is the ice cream truck. Food trucks are stationed all around the park, but there's never one selling the same thing. The ice cream truck happens to be the truck closest to the park gates. And really, what's better than ice cream to celebrate the greatest achievement of my life?
It takes everything in me to not skip to the bench I spot a little down the path. I reach the seat, and plop down, already diving into the neapolitan ice cream sandwich I bought at the truck. While munching, I watch the little kids running around, the moms and their friends pushing strollers, and the workout people running in tune to the music in their headphones. I wait until I finish my ice cream before reaching for my phone. As I pull it out, a folded piece of paper falls out. Curious, I pick it up and unfold it, realization what it is quickly.
Luis's business card with his personal number scrawled on it. The thought in my mind left as soon as it came. I had a sudden impulse to call Luis to tell him about the news. Then I remembered, that wouldn't make any sense. We're not like that. We're not happy buddies who call each other when we have good news. We're not the type to call each other ever. And it doesn't even make sense to refer to Luis and I as a "we" because we're not that. We're not anything. And yet, I remember our day together not too long ago. The memory invaded with the sweet scent of melted marshmallows and the light giggles filling the air. And it wasn't bad. I didn't exactly want it to stop. I just hated the idea that it was happening. I hated that Luis, of all people, the self centered rival, would make me feel loose in some way. Soft. And I really don't have time for it. It's focusing on my goals, on my career, that brought me success and acceptance into the Pastry Guild. Being part of the Pastry Guild would make Grandmère proud, not catching feelings for Luis, if I can even call it catching feelings.
But if our Rice Krispie making hadn't been cut short, what would have happened? There was no denying he was going to kiss me that day. I have no idea why. Would I have kissed him back? My answer to that terrifies me. I'm waiting for the day it won't.
For now, I add Luis's number in my contacts. And for now, his contact name is under "Cariño".
I stand up to leave the park, and when I get back to the bakery, I decide to look for dresses to wear to the Pastry Guild Gala to take my mind away from the thought of calling Luis.

° ° °