{ 12 } sugar cookies

"So did you figure out what was wrong with Grandmère?" Jasmin asked, scrolling on her laptop at the counter. I was arranging a plate of cupcakes on the counter. Before I could answer, a customer came up and ordered package of sugar cookies. After the exchange, I turned my attention back to Jasmin.

"She's showing early signs of dementia. She'll have to live with us for a while. I really don't want to put her in a home, you know?"

"Yeah, I totally understand," Jasmin said, looking up from her computer screen.

Another customer came in and asked for sugar cookies again, the last batch. I went into the kitchen and gathered all the supplies for a new batch. As I was mixing the dry ingredients, I started humming.

I cared for Grandmère a lot. Of course I didn't want to put her in an elderly home. She's taken care of me for as long as I could remember. At the doctor's appointment, the physician's assistant asked if she had anyone else but me who could take of her. Grandmère's husband died before I was born. She also only had my mother as a child. I didn't even know where to begin to track her down. And even if I did find her, there wasn't a high chance she would come help. Or that Grandmère would remember her in a good enough light to let my mother help her. The least I could do for Grandmère was to help her in her old age. She's helped me all these years and now I wouldn't want to do anything else but help her. And I thought of everything else but how much time she had left.

I was brought out of my thoughts by Jasmin calling my name.

"Bonnie, I was thinking, with Grandmère not feeling well, do you think it's the best time to throw a party? Maybe we should wait until-"

"What do you mean? Wait until it gets worse? She's fine. We're still having the party."

"I didn't mean waiting until it got worse. You know that. You know what I meant."

I shrugged my shoulders and turned back to the kitchen.

"I'm going ahead and ordering more supplies and finalizing the date," Jasmin called from the counter.

Grandmère is fine and she's going to be fine for a long time. Grandmère is fine and she's going to be fine for a long time. Grandmère is fine and she's going to be fine for a long time.

I repeated this to myself over and over as I mixed the ingredients. It got to a point where the loud shuffling from upstairs turned into a blur. The loud thud from upstairs finally brought me out of my monotony. I heard Jasmine jump from her seat and quietly yelp. I dashed out to the main shop confused. Only a few of the customers heard the thud above the music playing in the shop. However, Jasmin stared at me with eyes as wide as saucers. It took me a few seconds to catch up to her thought process.

"Grandmère," I whispered shakily.

I dashed upstairs. Not even waiting until I was out of earshot from the customers, I shouted, "Grandmère!!"

I ran to the guest room and threw open the door. "Grandmère!!"

On the floor, Grandmère was slumped haphazardly, her head lolled to the side. The bedside table was overturned next to her. There was a spot on her head where blood was flowing out onto the hardwood floor.

I dashed over to her still form and pushed the bedside table away from her. I turned her over so I could see her face. Her face was void of color and her pulse was very weak.

"Grandmère!!" I choked on her name as I started to sob. "Grandmère, no, please wake up, Grandmère!!"

The rest that happened was a blur. I vaguely remember Jasmin coming up, seeing me on the floor with Grandmère, and screaming. After maybe a few minutes, maybe an hour, maybe a couple of hours, I don't remember. I feel a strong pair of arms wrap around me and whisper in my ear.

"It'll all be okay. Shh, shh. Stand up, cariño. It'll all be okay."

I fought back, resisting his attempt at comfort for maybe a few minutes, maybe an hour, maybe a few hours, I don't remember. But more voices came around and a stretcher was being wheeled in. The paramedics took Grandmère away and all that was left of the scene was the overturned bedside table.

Luis was still trying to comfort me as I was now hyperventilating.

"We have to go to the hospital now. Breathe, breathe. It'll all be okay." He still had his arms around me and my face was buried in his chest.

With what was left of my voice, I let out a heartbreaking scream.

° ° °