{ 4 } sprinkled cake pop

The brisk October air flushed my nose and cheeks as I jogged over to the bakery. My speed was powered by my sudden frustration at the new shop. As a person who works hard for the things she wants, I did not appreciate this obstacle. I needed to investigate Sugar Rush and make sure it wasn't something I had to worry about.
As I turned the corner to the street Jasmin said it was on, I was able to smell it before I saw it. All down the street was the aromatic scent of baked goods. The most overwhelming smell was chocolate. As it reached my nose, my knees went weak and I started to feel warm inside. My stomach growled at the new found desire of chocolate.
I quickly stopped myself as soon as I felt it. I was to go in, check out the scene, and walk out. Under no circumstance was I to actually buy anything! That'd be like treason!
By the time I had my plan firmly implanted in my head, I was standing in front of the shop. The shop had a glass door with the name of the shop in bold capital letters. The windows on both sides had Halloween displays in them. The logo of the car with donuts for wheels was on both windows as well. I scowled again as I was reminded of the cleverness of their name and logo. Taking a deep breath, I determinedly walked into the shop.
Against my will, I let out a small murmur of awe. Jasmin was right: it did look like a mix between Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. And the child in me couldn't help but fall in love. The walls were orange, but paled down so it wasn't tacky. Hanging from the ceilings were clouds made to look like cotton candy. The floor was coated with these cotton candy clouds but it didn't create clutter on the ground. Higher up on the walls were shelves adorned with numerous jars of candy. I recognized them to be gumballs, gummy bears, chocolate chips, and et cetera. Along with cotton candy on the ground were little cupcake sculptures. The tables had the swirls of lollipops on the surface and the stools resembled short cakes. Instead of a long counter at the front, there were three or four cylindrical platforms with walls that came up to the employee's waist. Around the walls of the cylindrical platforms were spiral staircases. On each step were platters of cakes and cookies and pies. In the center of the shop was a large transparent tube that went from the floor to the ceiling. As if by wind or other propelling forces, candy was moving up and down the tube. Mixed amongst the clouds on the ceilings were twisting and turning tubes like the one in the center. Underneath the low murmur of the voices of shop browsers was this tinkling and whimsical music that reminded me of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
I stood there, in the midst of the splendor of it all, hopelessly in awe.
"Welcome to Sugar Rush where your next stop is Sweet City! Have a free cake pop!"
I'm transported back into reality and notice a Latino man my height in front of me. His dark hair is gelled back away from his dark eyes. He is of normal fitness and wearing a loose orange polo with the Sugar Rush logo on it. He's carrying a tray of multiple different colored sprinkled cake pops. With a smile on his lightly mustached mouth, he was holding a cake pop out to me.
I take note of the immediate customer interaction and take the cake pop from his hand. Inspecting the cakepop, I debate whether or not to take a bite out of it in front of this person. I decide to take a bite anyways as to not seem suspicious. Of course it was as good as the donut.
"Don't you think it's the best cake pop you've ever eaten and will ever eat? It's made with my secret recipe."
"Wow," I start, raising my eyebrow at the smiling man in front of me, "You've got a bit of an ego."
The man's dark eye glinted with humor. "I make all of my treats from scratch and I own this sweet tooth's dream place. I think I've got every right to brag!"
It took everything in me to not choke on the piece of cake pop in my mouth.
"You're the owner? Of Sugar Rush?" This was new to me. When I first opened my bakery, I greeted customers from behind my counter as most places do. And now, in front of me, is the owner, greeting every customer personally instead of having someone else do so or not at all.
"Don't sound so surprised! My name is Luis Hernandez, proud owner of Sugar Rush, an increasing success," he held out his hand for me to shake and ended the sentence, leaving it open for me to provide my name.
"Bonnie Palomer, proud owner of Bonnie's Bakery, a long standing success," I replied in a calculated manner, eyes slightly narrowed and pumping the handshake firmly. Luis seemed surprised at hearing who I was but quickly covered it up with a chuckle and another glint in his eye.
"Ahh, Ms. Palomer. I've been to your shop a few times. Compliments to your baking. It's always so busy in there. Guess that must not be the case today if you are visiting Sugar Rush this morning." He drawled the last part out with his Latin American accent, his face in a full smirk. Good thing he left go of my hand before he finished or I would have crushed every single bone in his tanned hand.
"I left the shop, with many customers in it mind you, to take a quick walk in the cool weather," I lied, trying hard not to seethe through my teeth, "Then the tacky orange of this place caught my eye. Naturally, since I'm curious, I decided to come in and take a look since I like to know what's around me in town. No matter how ridiculous the place looks." For extra emphasis, I looked around the shop with a scrunched up nose.
Luis just laughed at me, "I guess looks of disgust for you is the equivalent of a kid on Christmas morning."
I crossed my arms and raised an eyebrow. "How long have you been open?" I ask.
"About 2 weeks." I looked around the shop. The amount of customers they had equaled the amount I had on an average day. I only started getting that amount of customers after my first month and a half of service.
"How do so many people know about this place?"
"Are you," Luis took a pause, and made a humming sound as if he were thinking, "Jealous, Ms. Palomer?"
"Don't be a smart ass..." I retort back, moving my hands to my hips.
Luis laughed his deep and throaty laugh again and said, "Advertising is key, mi amiga."
I cringed at him calling me his friend.
"Now, cariño, I do not mean to be frank, but are you going buy anything?"
Having accomplished my goal, my mind was already out the door. "No, I'm leaving now."
"Ahh, so sad. Well, have a lovely day, Ms. Palomer," I started walking away and quickly went out the door.
My mind was blank as I quickly jogged back to my shop. As I rounded the corner, I had some new found determination. And when I wanted to do something, I did it.
At the moment, I knew I needed to advertise Bonnie's Bakery more. It needed to sound ten times better than Sugar Rush and I was ready for the challenge.
As I saw Jasmin through the door of the shop, helping herself to a sugar cookie at the counter, I also realized another thing. I forgot to get her a cake pop.

° ° °