{ 19 } chocolate lava cake

The bakery has been open for two hours and Jasmin has already gotten the numbers of three boys and five girls using the same cheesy pickup line. You know, the kind you get off of Facebook that moms share without understanding the full innuendo behind it. And she's about to get the sixth girl's number using the same line!

She's completing disregarding my "no flirting" rule and I'm honestly not surprised. It doesn't matter though as she's not directly affecting the flow of customers. She's not scaring anyone away and I'm happy. I'm kept busy by selling treats and calling out the raffle winners every hour. There's lots of people milling around, taking their time, talking to one another. We've set up taller tables and moved them in a way to create more space if anyone wanted to dance a little. There's a very warm atmosphere despite it being a chilly February outside. I'm stuck behind the counter because of the constant flow of customers. But, I never ever complain about being behind the counter. There's no better way for me to spend my time.

Around 1:00pm, Jasper and his band come through the backdoor to start setting up. I watch them momentarily as they tune their guitars and test their drums. I then head over to my laptop to change the playlist that comes through the store speakers. My new pick is a Disney hits playlist. Though it has nothing to do with Valentine's day, I still let it play until the live music is available. No one can ever go wrong with Disney. If you ever meet someone who doesn't have at least one Disney song that makes them belt out singing whenever it comes on, they're lying and shouldn't be trusted. That, or their song happens to be Let It Go from Frozen and they just don't want to admit it. And I mean, I don't blame them. I'm just careful not to let Poor Unfortunate Souls play. I don't think it'd make too good of an impression if I start strutting around the store belting at the top of my lungs with my out of tune voice.

After a few songs, my attention starts to wander around the store. There's a slight lull in customers coming to the counter but the bakery is still pretty full. Jasmin is talking to a girl, leaning very close to listen even though it isn't very loud in the store to begin with. I'll probably confront her about her quickly forgotten crush on Luis. The crush that allowed him to be at the bakery all the time. Maybe with this new chick, he won't be around as much. A concept that's always invited. It's not that surprising for her anyway, crushing on someone new every other week. Where I am reserved except to the ones I know, Jasmin is very outgoing, flitting from one girl or boy she sets her eyes on to the next. I can remember one relationship she had that lasted for longer than a millisecond. Seeing her get into relationships so easily makes me wonder a little bit about my love life. I've never been in a relationship and it's probably because I'm not much of a flirter. Even though I'm better now socially, I'm still quite shy. Except for grandmère, I never tell anyone what I truly think. I think it's their response that's what deters me the most from relationships. It's something I can't plan for and I'm not ready for that. I'm not spontaneous and nearly everything I do has a purpose and meaning behind it. And people my age find it easier to be spontaneous to find a relationship. At nearly twenty five, I'm not even in a serious relationship and I can see it in the eyes of my peers who are thinking to settle. I can tell myself that I don't care, that growing my business is all that I need. But when I reach my peak, then what happens? My happiness has always been rooted in baking. What happens when that's not enough?

Somehow, I'm able to hear the bell ring over the sound of the band and wait for the new customer to head over to the counter. My mouth sets in a straight line when I see who it is.

"I've come for the free chocolate lava cake I was promised upon entering." He says, placing his head in his hands and his elbows on the counter. I roll my eyes and make motion for him to remove his elbows from the counter.

"If you bothered to finish reading sign, the chocolate lava cake is only for customers who bring a valentine," I pantomime looking around with binoculars. "And if I'm not mistaken, I don't see the unlucky soul who's your plus one."

Luis shrugs calmly. "Don't have one."

I mimic his shrug. "You know what you also don't have? A chocolate lava cake."

"Ah, cariño, don't be like that. Be kind to your fellow baker."

"If you're not going to buy anything, I suggest either talking to the tons of people here to find yourself a valentine, or leave."

Luis doesn't say anything but instead, grabs a fortune cookie from the basket next to him and opens it. "Ah, it says 'Keep your eyes open. Your secret valentine might be right in front of you."

Looking at him and crossing my arms, I say, "I wrote at least half of those and unless Jasmin added one I didn't approve of, I'm sure what you just said isn't what's actually on that slip of paper."

Luis folds the slip of paper and slides it into his pocket. He shoves the cookie pieces in his mouth and talks while chewing. "Caught in the act then. I was hoping you'd unknowingly accept."

"Accept what?"

"To be my valentine for the day." Swallowing, he gives a toothy grin that makes him look a lot younger.

"You're really that desperate for cake then. Hold on, I'm bringing it to the counter."

I walk back to the kitchen, find the ledge that has all the lava cakes laid out, and bring it back out. The only reason is because I wanted to have one without Jasmin shaming me for it. I told her she couldn't have any until after the event, where there'd most likely not be any left. I reasoned that if I shared one with Luis, it wouldn't be that bad. I pull out a drawer and reveal two forks.

"We're sharing?!" Luis asks in disbelief as I plunged my fork into the cake. I put a bite in my mouth smiling half at his surprised expression, half at how I've impressed myself yet again with how good the cake tastes.

"Why not? We are valentines for the day. I rightfully should have half." I take another bite.

"Fair enough," Luis complies as he starts eating the cake too.

We don't talk while eating, but we're both content while small smiles on our faces. I wouldn't have believed you if you told me a few months ago that Luis and I would be sharing a cake on Valentine's day pretending to be valentines. And, I don't know how it happened, but we were almost able to finish the cake without any interruptions. Emphasis on almost.

Jasmin flounces over but I don't see her until she slams her hand on the counter.

"You said that we weren't allowed to have any until closing!" she whisper screams.

Her sudden appearance makes me drop my fork, spreading chocolate on the front of my shirt. There's no point in cleaning it but I still grab tissues and try to wipe anyway.

"You hypocrite!" she hisses in mock offense. She grabs a plastic fork from a nearby table, grabs a huge bite from the cake, and flounces away again.

Luis and I both stare at my chocolate covered shirt for a moment before moving. Just as I turn, I Luis says, "Just like a true artist, chocolate stains instead of paint."

I pause. This was the first indication either of us gave at remembering the conversation we had after the Baking Show fiasco. And for some reason, my heart feels a little warm at that. Shaking it off because how can I possibly feel anything positive after anything Luis says, I continue up the stairs.

° ° °