{ 22 } solar system vanilla cake

I stare at the flyer absentmindedly. It was one among many around town advertising Sugar Rush's upcoming event. I don't pay too much mind to it.

Setting the flyer down, I turn my attention to the door, which has just flown open bringing in my friend Jasper and a bouncing kid close in tow.

"Hey Jasper!" I wave from the counter as he rushes towards me, dragging the kid behind him. He's frazzled, a bit out of breath and disheveled hair.

"I'm getting straight to the point Bonnie," I raise my eyebrows as he gets his bearings and start up again. "I completely forgot that this cake decorating thing at Sugar Rush was today- see, you have the flyer, you know- and I have a date in like 15 minutes and I feel like I've called everyone to see if someone could take my baby cousin who's in town, but everyone's busy and I didn't want to bother you with the store but you're really my last hope, and-"

I hold up my hands to try and stop him. "Woah, woah, woah! It's okay! I'll just ask Jasmin to-"

"No!" he exclaims quickly. Then, he drops his voice to a whisper. "The kid finds her a bit threatening, you know, with the face piercings, black hair, dark makeup look she's going for."

I cover my mouth as I try not to laugh. Jasmin is anything but threatening, but to a kid, I can see how they might not understand.

Jasper is looking at me with pleading eyes and I know I can't refuse. He does a lot of favors for us, I should do one for him.

"Yeah, I'll take your cousin. I'll just get Jasmin to man the counter. The whole event shouldn't take too long right?"

Jasper nearly starts bouncing as much as the kid. "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I'll be back in like 4 hours!"

He ruffles the kid's hair and says, "Be good to Bonnie and don't get icing everywhere!" and bounds out the door. I stare at the kid, and he stares back with slight curiosity. I think it shouldn't be too bad. I've babysat once before.

"I'll be right back, kid." I step into the kitchen and towards the bottom of the staircase to yell, "Jasmin, I'll be back in a few hours?"

"Cool! Have fun!"

I head back out to the counter where the kid is still waiting, still bouncing.

"Alright, let's go!"

° ° °

"What's your name?"

"Anthony. My friends call me Tony." He pauses after this and considers. "I guess you can call me Tony too."

My hand flies to my chest in exaggerated shock. "Well, I'm honored Tony!" He giggles at me. If it's this easy to make a child happy, then this shouldn't be too bad. "My name is Bonnie. That's what everyone calls me."

"That's a cool name, Bonnie. Jasper says nice things about you," Tony says, nodding decisively. I decide that I like this kid.

"So, how excited are you for the cake decorating contest?"

And this is what sets him off. His eyes light up and he starts waving his arms up and down.

"Oh my goooossshhh! I'm sooo excited! Jasper told me about it when I first came to visit. I was telling him about how I made a bake sale in my front yard last summer. It's like a lemonade stand but way cooler! I decorate all the cupcakes myself, you should totally come over and try some! And Jasper and I were walking down this exact street to go to the park like a week ago and we saw the flyer and since I'm a great reader, I read the flyer to him. I told him the flyer had a poem on it because in school we were told that a lot of poems rhyme but not every poem has to rhyme. Anyways, I begged Jasper to let me go and he said yes! I couldn't believe my ears! I told him I would decorate my cake with lots of lasers and stuff. I'd also have lots of animals and stuff. I bet mine is gonna win-"