{ 26 } petit fours

{ 26 } petit fours

"You look...AMAZING!! Totally bombshell material!"
"You really think so?" I ask this as I twirl around in the formal dress I'm wearing. To be completely honest, it was the exact opposite of what I would have chosen if it were up to me. Jasmin caught me while I was online dress shopping. She grabbed my shoulders and moved me aside claiming, "My original plan was to let you do your own thing but clearly you're suffering without my fashion expertise."
One week and $125 later, the dress arrived in the mail and I'm trying it on for the first time. Jasmin and I are up in my bedroom, Jasmin lounging on my bed and me standing awkwardly in front of the full length mirror. The dress has a deep V neck in the front and back that cinches in into an A-line floor length tulle skirt. The silver dress is sleeveless and slightly sequined while the skirt has a really high slit. Definitely not the type of dress to wear to a professional gala. Prom, maybe, if you're into that. But not a gala.
"Well," I start, inspecting the sequins one more time because apparently that is the biggest problem with the dress and not the fact that the slit goes all the way up to my hip, "Even if it is bombshell material, I don't think it's gala material you know?"
"If you don't want it, I'll have it. See if I care you don't have a dress for this then." She rolls her eyes at me.
I go to my closet and pull out a package. When we ordered this dress, I ordered a second one after Jasmin left because I just needed to have a backup option. Even on the picture, my back up choice looked like the safer of the two. I quickly put it on and step out into the room.
This dress has tank straps as well as off the shoulder straps on top of a sweetheart neckline. The empire waistline flows into a full length skirt as well. The wine red dress is considerably softer and has no sequins.
I do a quick twirl as I show off the dress to Jasmin, feeling much more comfortable.
"I do have a dress for the gala, whether you like it or not," I say as I check myself out in the mirror.
"I hate saying it but this dress is bombshell material too. Even if it's not the one I chose." I stick out my tongue at her.
"Anyways, what time do you want me to start your makeup for this on Saturday?"
"Who said you're doing my makeup?" I ask, starting to slip out of my dress, not wanting to ruin it this close to the gala. I place it on a hanger and hang it on the back of my closet door.
"Ha, that's funny. Not like you can do your makeup on your own or you're willing to go to an actual place to do that."
"Hey! Your insult limit is up for tonight!" I dash to the bed and plunge myself onto it, pushing Jasmin aside. After settling down, we lie next to each other, staring at the ceiling.
"Are you excited?"
"Hell yeah. Words cannot even describe what I'm feeling now."
"In the back of my mind, I always knew you'd be able to do it. To get in. I was gonna fight the Pastry Guild with my own hands if you didn't get the letter this year or next."
I turn to look at her and she's already looking at me. She has a serious expression on her face, like she was true to her word. "It's true. I don't care if they haven't accepted noobs since the last blue moon. You totally deserve it."
I start to smile. My heart aches at her sincerity. "Jasmin! You're gonna make me cry!"
"Then my job here is done." She playfully nudges me with her shoulder and I nudge her back.

° ° °