{ 10 } blueberry muffins

I woke up before my alarm clock, which doesn't normally happen. I also woke up smiling, which definitely never happens. I heard Grandmère's voice downstairs and assumed she was talking to Jasmin. After quickly getting ready, I rushed downstairs calling, "Bonjour Grandmère!"

I stopped dead in my tracks. I was right about Grandmère being in the bakery and talking to Jasmin. I was wrong about Grandmère and Jasmin being the only ones in the bakery.

Luis turned around at the sound of my voice with the other two. He was holding a basket filled to the brim with muffins.

"Bonjour, mon petit chou. Comment ça va?"

I quickly walked over to where they were all standing and lightly hugged Grandmere. I stared daggers at Luis.

"Why are you here? We don't open for another hour and a half."

Luis pulled a half smile. He put the muffin basket on the table next to him. "I just came to ask how you were after the whole 'flour fiasco'. That's all."

"Va te faire foutre, trouduc!" (Translation: Fuck off, asshole).

Grandmère whacked me on the arm with a force that was surprising for an 80 year old woman.

"Je suis certaîne que je n'ai pas t'enseigne cette langue!" (Translation: I am certain I didn't teach you that language!). (This also means I could care less about cursing in front of Grandmère now).

"Grandmère!" I exclaimed while Luis was laughing at this entire interaction. What's more, Jasmin was laughing with him. This proceeded to piss me off even further.

"Bonnie, your grandmother is truly a treasure. She was just telling me how you would nearly poison her with your Easy Bake creations but she would eat them because you basically temper trantumed her into it."

"Well that's a lie."

"How would you know?" Grandmère retorted, "You wouldn't even remember."

"Grandmère. How about you start to help me bake new batches of cookies for the customers?"

Grandmère rolled her eyes at my obvious topic change. "Bien sûre! À bientôt, Luis!" She winked at him before walking back to the kitchen. I held my head in my hand. The cheeky little...

Jasmin couldn't stop laughing. "Bonnie, Grandmère is awesome!"

"Whatever." I turned my attention back to Luis. "Why are you really here?"

"You don't believe me when I say that I'm truly concerned about how you're doing, cariño?"

"Not for one second." He did his signature half grin at that. It infuriates me that he's so nonchalant about it all. I wonder if he knows I suspect him of the flour.

"Shouldn't you be getting ready to open up Sugar Rush for the day?"

He shook his head. "Not today, unfortunately. For some odd reason, almost the entire shop is covered in dried honey." He cocked his head and raised his eyebrow, making a point to stare at me. Whether or not he wanted to make me uncomfortable, I don't know. I do know it wasn't working.

I crossed my arms. "That is pretty strange," I said evenly, sneaking a covert glance to Jasmin to make sure she didn't blow our cover. At that moment, she was staring at his chest, which was really pronounced in the plain black long sleeved polo he was wearing.

Luis sighed and straightened up. "Look cariño. Whether you did it or not, I don't appreciate the tension you feel the need to create between us. Therefore, I'm calling a 'truce', if I can even call it that."

We all looked at the muffins, not saying anything for a while. Luis sighed again and looked back to me. His dark eyes looked somewhat soft. I slightly shook my head.

"See you later, cariño," he waved and left the bakery.

"He's being the bigger man, I see. Attractive, mature, and sweet. Dude's got it all!" Jasmin picked up a muffin and brought it up to her mouth. I quickly smacked it out of her hand and let it fall to the ground. She pouted at the muffin on the ground.

"What was that for?" she whined.

"He clearly knows that we did the honey stunt. The muffins are obviously traced with poison."

Jasmin looked confused, then exasperated. "Oh, of course."

I picked up the muffin basket and brought it over to the big trash bin. "You've got to be more careful about these things, Jasmin," I said as I shook the contents of the muffin basket in the bin.

° ° °