The Originals

CHAPTER 6: THE ORIGINALS

The Mikaelson Mansion

Natalie had spent a day sleeping and wallowing in self-pity. And she was totally expecting Stefan to be pissed off when she got home because there may have been a few packs of chips all over the bed and he probably wasn't going to take it too well with it being his holy room with all his journals in it. But if Natalie was going to wallow, well, then she was going to wallow.

But something immediately changed after Elijah sent her a text, telling her that he was sure Klaus was going to New Orleans and the noble brother was planning on following him. He added a goodbye, of course. And a whole paragraph about how much she had once meant to him and his family, telling her that she should realize how courageous and strong she was because those were some of her greatest qualities that made her who she was. 

She had spent about an hour trying to figure out a response, but ended up on a thank you, he had great her and taste in suits and a goodbye.

But even if she knew she couldn't say goodbye to Elijah, she guessed that Klaus hadn't left for Louisiana yet and she was going to be able to say goodbye. If he had to leave, she had to be able to get a goodbye in, because she hadn't gotten a lot of those before people left before.

She was just in time as she saw him get ready to get into his car, but she sighed in relief at seeing him there. "Good, you haven't left yet."

"What are you doing here, love?" he asked, frowning as he saw her, not having expected anyone, especially not her (he would've thought Rebekah would've come to shame him or something if anything) to come.

"You didn't really think I was going to let you go without saying goodbye, right?" she asked, raising her eyebrows at him as if even thinking it would be stupid.

He smiled for a moment, looking down as he sighed. "Let me guess, Elijah found out before telling you?"

His reincarnated, old best friend sighed and scrunched her nose up as she nodded. "And added on a paragraph about how strong and courageous I was and how they were my greatest qualities just because he's Elijah, of course."

"Of course," he nodded, seeing as he knew his brother pretty well after spending a millennium trying to avoid being saved by him, but still keeping him close so he wouldn't have to be devoured by his loneliness. "Why would you say goodbye?"

"Believe it or not, you're stupid need to be annoying and persistent made you grow on me," she nodded, grimacing along with it, showing how serious she truly was. "So... I couldn't just let you leave without knowing that."

She knew that he wanted to leave, and she knew that she had to let him. So, since she didn't know when the next time she'd see him would be, she decided to do something they've had a while to do. She quickly wrapped her arms around him, holding him tight as a reminder of their friendship and how they were now letting it go. "Good luck, Klaus."

"Take care of yourself, love." he whispered back as he allowed her to embrace him, even though it felt strange for him to be hugged as he hadn't been hugged in what seemed like so long. It felt kind of nice.

She pulled away and smiled at him sadly, wiping the corner of her eye as if she had been ready to cry. Stupid heightened vampire emotions. "Goodbye, asshole."

"Goodbye, Natalia."

▹▹▹

The Cemetery

Natalie stared at the tombstone warily, glancing down at the flowers in her hand sadly. There was a bench behind her and she carefully sat herself down, placing the white roses down in front of the grave, and just seeing that there was a grave for him made her want her cry her eyes out. She hadn't really allowed herself to come to terms with his death yet, she hadn't had the chance.