Resident Evil

CHAPTER 27: RESIDENT EVIL

The Mystic Grill

Since they hadn't had a conversation in a while, Elena had invited Natalie to lunch at the Grill. They then found out that Caroline was going to meet her mother as well, and so the three girls decided they could all eat together, only for them to find that Sheriff Forbes wasn't there yet when they came. 

"Well, I guess my mom's not here yet. I'm gonna get us some coffees," Caroline offered, looking at the two sisters, giving Natalie a look that told her that she needed to talk to her sister. The two had been in a really good place, and after what happened with Katherine they had just fallen away from one another. 

"Sure," Natalie replied, sounding strained. She had jumped at the idea of not having lunch alone with her sister because she wasn't sure how they were supposed to talk anymore after the last time she saw her she was Katherine. And Katherine made out with Stefan in front of her in her sisters body. 

The two sisters walked together to find a table, and nothing seemed wrong because both of them seemed a bit awkward with one another from a time the two of them happened to end up alone in their dorm room together. Of course, there was something wrong with Elena (what else is new), but it just wasn't easy to see. 

"My mom's minutes away," Caroline then walked up to them, struggling to keep the three coffees in her hands steady, so Natalie quickly grabbed hers with a smile. There was one of them who didn't seem very responsive. "Elena? Hello? Elena!"

It looked like something snapped inside the doppelganger's mind and she almost jumped in surprise at how everything seemed so different, only to then start asking questions. "How did I get here? I was just standing at the doorway."

Natalie frowned as she narrowed her eyes at her older twin sister, finding her to seem really weird because she thought it was only natural awkwardness, but that didn't seem too likely. "Uh, you walked."

"Hang on. Did you just have one of those dreams, like, right here?" Caroline asked, catching the look in Elena's eyes that she was one of the only ones to have seen before. Of course, Natalie heard about it but she wasn't really team Stefan/Elena romantic dreams. 

She tried to act like it didn't bother her, because she didn't really have a reason to feel bothered anymore. Her and Stefan weren't boyfriend and girlfriend, and that was her choice and she had to live with it. She had to take a deep breath as quietly as she could, then she would force herself to meet Elena's eyes and try to see more than her kissing Stefan in some romantic dream. 

Elena didn't seem to notice Natalie's discomfort when it came to the subjects, which was understandable seeing as she was trying to figure out what was going on with herself. "It didn't feel like a dream, okay? It felt like it was real, like I was just there."

"That's weird," the blonde vampire commented, obviously wanting to say more. 

The eldest of the three girls was getting annoyed at her inability to just say what she wanted to say what she wanted to without being asked to do it. "Caroline, if you bite your tongue any harder, you'll bleed. Say it."

"It's psych 101. Actually, it's whatever comes before 101. You told Damon that you couldn't see him anymore, and now you're having dreams about Stefan?" Caroline answered to Elena's wishes quickly. 

The 19-year-old vampire finally glanced over at her sister, finding her to seem very interested in the look of her coffee as she held it right in front of her face without taking her eyes off it. "It's not just about Stefan, ok? My parents were still alive. It was like a different life."