I'm Thinking Of You All The While

CHAPTER 52: I'M THINKING OF YOU ALL THE WHILE

The Wedding Location

Pain shot through Natalie's neck as she awakened. Confusion ran through her mind, wondering what had happened, why she woke up on the ground instead of standing at the altar as Jo's maid-of-honor.

The realization of what had happened made her shoot up into a sitting position, breathing heavily as she turned her head frantically. She tried to figure out where she was, and why. She would have thought that Kai would have decided that it was time to kill her after she shut him in that prison world.

But she was all alone, outside, right beside the barn the wedding was supposed to happen in. She felt exhausted, and supposed that it was because all her energy had been used on waking up. Her best guess was that Kai had used magic to throw her out the window before snapping her neck.

Still, she tried to use her vampire hearing in hope of hearing something, anything from the people she loved. She had no idea where they were, or if they were even still alive. Stefan, Damon, Elena, Alaric, Bonnie, Matt, Caroline, Tyler. None of them were anywhere to be seen.

There was nothing, not even breathing heard. Her breathing suddenly became more ragged as she tried to convince herself that everything was still okay. They could still be fine, maybe they just left the location.

Then, out of nowhere, a loud gunshot broke her out of her trance of self-assurance. Her eyes widened, and she pushed herself out of her tired sitting position. But she was quickly held back as she saw her dress being stuck to a rose bush.

She didn't care about her dress when her friends, her family, could be in danger. She ripped the dress, making it mid-thigh length instead of reaching the floor. Her first instinct was to use her vampire speed to figure out what the gunshots were, and so she followed her instincts.

Thankfully, her hearing led her to the right place. She had naively hoped that maybe a gun went off and it had nothing to do with the people she loved, that there were just Geminis she didn't really now. But she wasn't that lucky.

She found her broken-hearted father standing alone with Kai Parker. He had his gun pointed at the siphoner, but none of the bullets that hit him seemed to hurt him. When Alaric finally realized that it wasn't going to work, he pointed the gun at his own head.

"Dad!" Natalie exclaimed loudly as she saw what he was doing. Kai turned to meet her eyes quickly, and he had a wide smirk on his face. Him driving her father to pointing a gun against his head would only break her more. And he had things in store to break her.

Alaric didn't reply to her. She stopped in her tracks as he only sent her an apologetic look, his eyes glistening with tears that were desperately trying to shed but he wouldn't let them. But when he pulled the trigger, they finally fell.

Tears had started building up in Natalie's eyes as well when he pulled the trigger. But she let out a loud breath of relief when the gun was fortunately out of bullets, although Alaric only looked disappointed.

Kai only looked at the man who was supposed to be his brother-in-law smugly, finding the pain and misery he had caused to only make him happier. "Looks like somebody's having a very bad day."

"Get out of here, dad," the vampire commanded softly, although not sounding very strict at all. But when she turned to meet his crying eyes, she only seemed to harden as she spoke angrily this time. "Now!"

He complied, not wanting to argue with his daughter when he was already so emotionally drained from losing the woman he loved that same night. He just hoped that she would do it, he hoped that she could finally kill Kai.