Death and the Maiden

CHAPTER 16: DEATH AND THE MAIDEN

The Salvatore Boarding House

The vampire residents of Mystic Falls weren't used to good news, and when they finally got them, it was huge. Like, when Elena had been told by Stefan that his memories were back, and even though Natalie wanted to run up and greet him, she had to stay downstairs in the cellar and comfort her suicidal sister.

"Please let me die!" Amara pleaded, looking at her reincarnated sister with hope and tears in her eyes as she struggled against the shackles that were supposed to keep her alive.

Natalie was the only one that seemed to be allowed to touch Amara without her freaking out entirely and screaming out weird phrases, so she touched her arm in comfort. "Amara, hey, I'm here. I can't let you die. Please don't die, okay? I'm right here."

Amara still stuggled against the shackles, but seeming slightly calmer at the realization that Talia, or as she was now called, Natalie, was there with her. "I don't want to live anymore. I can't. It hurts too bad."

"I know. But stick it out a little longer okay. You can do it, I know you can," the vampire of the two tried to encourage the slightly very insane doppelganger in front of her, but then two people joined her in the cellar, and she turned to look at them with slight smiles, but when she saw Stefan, her smile widened at him having his memories back. "Hi."

And no matter how much pain he was in emotionally and mentally, the first time when he actually remembered her he was able to see her really smile in months was definitely worth a celebration in his head. "Hey."

"I'm guessing you want the run down of how things work," Natalie guessed, glancing at Damon with the question, to which she got a nod from both of the brothers. "Basically, Tessa's a jealous bitch and thought Silas was cheating on her with Amara until she found out it was actually me, so she turned her into stone and now this fraglie human is the only thing holding the other side together. Wow, we have weird lives."

"Maybe they'll be a little less weird after I get rid of Silas." Stefan guessed, leaning against the wall as he met Natalie's surprised look, which was easily accompanied with a frown and a tilt of her head.

As much as Natalie loved Stefan, she thought that it sounded very, very stupid of him to simply say that he would do it and there was not even a guess of whether or not he was able to. "You're gonna try to get rid of Silas?"

"I'm gonna succeed." was his only response as he shrugged and turned around, walking up the stairs once again, probably to complete his revenge plot and make sure everything would go perfectly.

Natalie sighed as she glanced at Damon as Amara breathed heavily against the door. "You know what? You're not even the weird brother anymore. You're both just... too much, wow."

Damon simply tilted her head and smirked/smiled as if he had just received the greatest compliment ever. "And don't we know it."

▹▹▹

Natalie walked into Stefan's room so that she could hopefully talk som sense into him about him wanting to kill Silas so badly. Of course, she loved Stefan very much, but she didn't know what it would end up doing to him. He was the most amazing and compassionate person she knew and she knew that killing people was his least favorite activity when he had his humanity and she didn't want him to look back and regret it.

"Doesn't doppelganger lore tell you that killing your doppelganger is bad luck?" Natalie asked sheepishly as she walked out onto Stefan's balcony, where he was standing out and staring at the skies. He hadn't remembered simply staring at the skies since he had Natalie's fingers intertwined with his and her head resting on his shoulder.