Belly Rubs

Ben and I walked down the hallway laughing and talking until we got outside on the tourney field. In the distance, I could only see one person out on the bleachers. Carlos. He noticed us so he got up and  ran up to us.

"Hey Trinity." he said with the same goofy smile he had when I met him. "I didn't know you were coming to help me practice."

"Well of course I came." I said to him with a big smile. "I knew your tourney skills were lacking so I decided to come out and help you. After all, I am on the cheerleading squad and if you get on the team, I could be your own personal cheerleader." I said with a giggle, bopping his nose a little with my index finger as he blushed. We walked over onto the field and started the practice session. Ben and I had Carlos doing some practice warm ups like jumping jacks, push ups, stretches, you get the gist. Then we had him do some sprints.

"Okay, Carlos, we're gonna do some sprints, you ready?" Ben asked as Carlos gave him a nod back to assure him that he was ready.

"And Go!" I said and started the stopwatch as he started running. We heard barking in the distance and it was the campus dog, Dude. He chased after Carlos and he sure enough was drop-dead terrified. He began screaming and yelling and running as fast as he could to get away from the small dog.

"Good job, Carlos." Ben said as he ran past us, screaming at the top of his lungs.

"Carlos, Carlos! Ben, we have to go after him, he's afraid of dogs!" I said as we chased after him, running for dear life. He ran into the woods and when we found him, he was up a tree and Dude was barking at him from the base of the tree. "Carlos!" I said trying to call out for him.

"Trinity! Ben!" he yelled once he finally noticed us. "Guys, help me! This thing is a killer! He's gonna chase me down and rip out my throat! This thing is a vicious, rabid, pack animal!" he said, accusing the small dog while hugging the tree.

"Hey, who told you that?" I asked as I picked up Dude.

"My mother!" he said as if it was obvious.

"Cruella?" Ben asked.

"She's a dog expert, a dog yellerer." he explained to us.

"Carlos, I don't even think that yellerer is a word." I said as he seemed to hug the tree even tighter.

"Why are you holding him? he's gonna attack you! And you're to beautiful to die!" he said which made me blush a bit.

"Carlos, you've never actually met a dog, have you?" Ben asked concerned.

"Of course not." Carlos said.

"Well then today, that's gonna change. Dude, meet Carlos. Carlos, this is Dude, he's the campus mutt." I said looking at Dude, then at Carlos.

"He doesn't look like a vicious, rabid, pack animal." he said climbing down from the tree ever so slowly. "Geez, you're a good boy, aren't you?" he asked as he began to pet Dude. I handed Dude off to Carlos over time.

"I guess you guys have it pretty rough on the Isle then, huh?" Ben asked, not even knowing the half of it.

"Yeah . . . let's just say we don't get a lot of belly rubs." he said, looking sad for a moment, but he chuckled it off.

"Good boy." Ben said to Carlos as he looked up confused. "I mean good job, you're a good runner, y-your fast." he said, trying to clear up the awkwardness. That's good ol' Ben for ya.

"Oh, thank you." Carlos said and chuckled as he kept on petting Dude in his arms.

"Listen, I'm gonna give you guys some space, yeah? You guys get to know each other and, you know, just come find me when you're done, Carlos, and I'll see you later, T." Ben said as he walked off.