Chapter 24 (1)

(Abel)

This is almost fun. Wasn't that what I was supposed to be having or going through or feeling or whatever you do with "fun"? I was looking down at a crowd of people who loved me but I felt empty on the inside. She wasn't there. She wouldn't be there. I should've stopped looking for her. But, I couldn't.

(Elize)

"How's the treatment going?"Mum asked me and I nodded.

"Is it still just as painful? Is it a bit more bearable?" She inquired. I nodded again.

Being stuck in a hospital room wasn't something I enjoyed. Being stuck in one with my mum was even worse. She was the prime worrier of my family. The chosen one, in fact. I hated having her around when something was dreadful or... worrying.

She went though, once I asked her to, she actually left. I guess, she knew I needed space and I hadn't seen Abel in forever. He was supposed to be coming tonight. What was I supposed to say to him? Would it still be the same? Perhaps not.

I looked at the clouds in the night sky and all of a sudden, my doubts seem to clear up. I didn't feel like I belonged but... I did. I belonged here, alone. I belonged to the world.

I put my head back against my cushion and hoped that I would stop feeling so... heavy. That's how it felt, my whole body felt heavy. I felt like I was losing pieces of myself, slowly and yet everything felt so goddamn heavy. There was something about this medication that made me hate the process a little lesser than the one that I had before. I didn't mind it, as much.

I closed my eyes and started to recite a poem to myself. It calmed me. My dad usually did the same. Guess, I learnt from him. Today's poet of choice was Robert Frost. The man and his dream. I'd learnt about fifty poems over the past week to calm myself and it had worked out. I finally felt like I wasn't wasting time. I was learning something. I wanted to take up something new like knitting or maybe learning a new language but they required classes, none that I had the energy to go to. But I could always pick up a book, so that's what I did.

I heard a brief knock on the door halfway through, The Door in the Dark. I liked the poem but I had to stop because I was still hoping that Abel would show up. It was already 9PM. Would they even let him enter? Did I have a curfew?

"May I come in?" I heard him say and I opened my eyes. It was him. I smiled and he grinned back.

"I'm sorry, girl. Fucking turbulence," he muttered and came forward to hug me, kiss me. I reciprocated, as best I could. I felt heavy still but my heart felt way lighter.

"I was talking to your doctor actually that's also a factor in the delay. I'm very sorry for it though. I'm glad he let me see you. Have you eaten?"

"Yes, Abel, my mum was here," I murmured. He giggled at my sullenness but I hated being pampered uselessly. I was already in a fucking hospital for chrissakes.

He sat down next to me and gave me another huge grin and I managed to grin back. "I hear your pain killers are really strong. Do you feel drowsy?"

"So that's what it is," I muttered.

"What? The drowsiness?"

"No the painkillers. I feel a little too heavy."

"Yeah. They'll do that. Do you need something, though?"

"No."

"Okay. Alright. I'm sorry for asking repeatedly but I've been worried sick."

"I know my phone's been blowing up," I muttered, sarcastically. The number of times he'd text me was crazy. I could barely respond enough for him to calm down.

"Well, I'm sorry for being a good boyfriend," he muttered and I rolled my eyes at him.

He was a cute boyfriend. Did that make sense? Abel Tesfaye, a CUTIE.

-----------------------------------
This is not an update. I had written this just after the last chapter and then stopped writing once I got busy. This is half a chapter. But the update may be pretty soon. Hmph. Donno when though. I'm a still a little busy. The only time I even come onto Wattpad is when a fav book of mine is updated.
Anyway. I hope I have time soon.
xo