Step 3: Pretend You Don't Remember

Patrick sat down at the table and picked up a plate as Pete set his fedora on his head.

"Thanks," Patrick said softly as he picked up a few pancakes. Pete nodded and blushed, still thinking about how Patrick kissed him. He still thought he was making a big deal out of nothing- Patrick was drunk. Not anymore, but still.

"Hey, Trick?" Pete asked. He decided to ask him about it. Patrick looked up, his cheeks puffed up with pancake. He hummed in response, waiting for Pete to speak.

"Uhm- d- why did-.... *sigh* I know you were still kinda drunk, but did that kiss mean anything to you?" Pete asked. Patrick furrowed his eyebrows, confused. Or so Pete thought. What he didn't know was that Patrick remembered it.

'Just pretend you don't remember,' he told himself.

"Uhm, I- you know what, it's nothing. Don't worry about it." Pete dismissed the thought, grabbing the eggs. 'He doesn't remember it, it obviously was his hangover.'

"Andy, can you grab the salt while you're still up?" Patrick asked sleepily. Andy nodded and tossed the salt to Patrick, Patrick missing the catch due to his current state. It rolled onto its side and off the table, thank god it was still closed.

Patrick leaned down to pick it up, his hand resting underneath Pete's as they both reached down. Patrick glanced up at Pete and blushed. Pete did the same, removing his hand so Patrick could pick it up.

Patrick just took the salt and poured a little onto his hashbrowns.

"That's a lot of fucking salt, Patrick!" Andy said. Patrick did put a lot of salt on everything. He just shook his head and started eating again. Pete picked at his food, suddenly at a loss for appetite. His stomach was fluttering around and he felt light-headed. Kind of how he felt with Meagan and Ashley.... No, no. He didn't.

He found himself staring at Patrick and his every move. The way he flicked his head ever so slightly to move his hair away from his face, how his eyes closed every time he bit down, how they stared back up into Pete's- oh no.

Pete looked away, choking on his water. "Are you okay, Pete?" Patrick asked softly. Pete nodded as he calmed himself, taking a deep breath before continuing his breakfast.

"You sure? Cuz you seemed pretty starstruck." Andy pitched in. Patrick blushed and nipped at his pancake, avoiding looking at Pete. Pete shook his head, he was not crushing on his best friend. No way. But was his best friend crushing on him? 'Shut up, you have no idea what you're talking about.'

Pete fought this battle in his head, all the while not eating a bite, and worrying Patrick.

"Pete? Hey.... Pete," Patrick said, lightly pushing on Pete's arm. Pete jumped, staring at Patrick and blushing again.

"I'm fine," Pete assured him. Although he wasn't sure it was believable- he didn't even believe it himself. Patrick just stared at him for a moment longer, a pleading look in his eyes.

"If you're sure," Patrick muttered, getting back to his own food slowly. Pete nodded, wanting to say something but afraid to. He closed his eyes lightly and sighed, picking up one of his bacon strips. He stared at it, not wanting to eat it, but forced himself o anyway.

Patrick could tell something was wrong, despite Pete's rejections. He just wasn't sure what it could be.