track 04: a change of heart

The door opened quickly, without being knocked. Nico didn't even bother glancing up because he already knew who it was. Who else would have the audacity to barge into his cabin without permission? "What are your plans for your birthday?"

"Nothing," He mumbled, barely acknowledging Reyna who was leaning against the door frame of his cabin. Reyna still had that same cocky smile that tugged in the corners of her mouth. She looked at him knowingly. "Why did I even bother asking something so obvious?"

"Gee, how am I supposed to know?" He said sarcastically. Reyna raised her eyebrows, arms crossing against her chest, a not so hidden challenge in her voice. "We'll throw you a big party, with lots and lots of people and –"

Nico sighed, he raised his eyes to look at her. He knew that she was challenging him. "No, you won't."

Reyna's eyes gleamed, like everytime she was challenged. "Try me." He knew better than to doubt her words, especially with that smug tone he didn't know if he loved or hated – probably both. She would probably throw that damn party if she really wanted to, regardless of her work and his choice, or anything at all.

This was Reyna after all.

"Fine." He said, admitting defeat. "I just want to stay here or something." or do something with you too. He wanted to add, knowing deep inside that that was what he really wanted but he didn't voice that out loud because she was too busy with her work and he didn't want to bother her.

"You only turn this age once." Reyna countered.

"It's just a day, Reyna. I don't think it's such a big deal." He snorted. "Besides, you of all people should understand that I feel more comfortable when I'm alone or —"

Pushing herself from the doorframe, she walked towards him. "It's not just a day Nico, it's your birthday. Let me and your friends do something for you for once —"

He scoffed. They were both stubborn.
"Why is this a big deal to you? Like you said, it's my birthday."

When she reached the bottom of his bed, she bent to her knees until they were the same eye level. "You started existing on that day and soon after that, years after that, you became a part of our lives. A really big part of my life, so it's not just a day."

He gave in. His chest tightened at her words, her eyes were soft, with so much concern that he felt his throat closing up. And not for the first time, he wondered what he ever did to deserve her.

"I'm going to ask you again—"
She grinned, her eyes glinting mischievously. "—because trust me, I'm really gonna throw that party.

What do you want for your birthday?"

In a voice so soft and tender, with so much emotion and so unlike him, he have her his answer.
An answer that he didn't want to admit, an answer he've been trying to hide, an answer so honest because it came from his heart.

"You."