track 15: you are in love

"Hello?" Said a wide-awake voice. Reyna bit her lip. "Hello? Who is this?"

She couldn't talk. Once again she was flabberghasted. "Nico? It's me, Reyna." She said happily. Suddenly she could hear their voices springing from the past, all the tough times they've pushed through--they've had each other and it was simply everything Reyna could ever hoped for in a normal life.

"Oh." Nico sounded surprised. "Hey, Rey. Listen, do you need something? It's the middle of the night. You better get some sleep too, you know." He said. His voice didn't differ at all--piercing and had an appeal in it.

"Nico, I challenge you into a no-sleeping game. Challenge accepted?"

Nico slapped his head. He didn't seem sleepy at all, no sign of yawning. "Reyna . ." It was normal for the two of them to accept priceless challenges from one another.

"What? Aww, you can't accept that? Loser."

"What's up with you being hyper tonight?"

"Oh shut up. I haven't talked to my best friend in a week. I could kiss you right now!"

"Very funny, Rey."

"Why can't you date someone already? You're smart, you're strong, kind - You're the ideal man every girl would want." She said because it was true.

It was quiet first. There it was again, the silence. "Except you you." Nico whispered, making her heart skip a little. His voice was voice. "I'm kidding. You know, don't get fooled with what I do. I do very bad things I regret sometimes."

She wanted to cry, at the same time she wanted to fall asleep. Nico's voice talked sweetly in her ear that sounded like lullabies, their conversations put together that resembled a melancholic elegy. As if she were to die tomorrow, Reyna thought, she still got to talk with the best man in the world.

Reyna smiled as if Nico had carried away her distress. "You're my best friend. And I love you for that."

"Yeah yeah. Best friends, huh?" His voice was soft, she barely heard the words he spoke. "I like that." Reyna focused her eyes on the bright star where Nico could be possibly staring at.

"So, why'd you call?" Reyna breathed heavily. "Nothing... I just wanted to talk to someone."

Reyna wanted to hold onto something; a jewelry, an ornament. Something she could grasp. Her world had been very mystifying and complicated lately. "I miss you Nico." She tried to say.

"I'm always here for you." Reyna smiled.

"But do you know why--the reason I gave up on you a long time ago?"

"What?"

"I used to think watching after you was a gift Jason left me." Jason? Reyna wanted to demand. She kept her voice down and let him talk. "You kept chasing after him, I was chasing after you. But we knew it wasn't going to work, was it?" Reyna was teary-eyed. She buried herself underneath the sheets, the feeling of having Nico's voice wrapping her like a shell, the memories playing again horrifyingly.

"So I've decided one thing: relationships get complicated. Loving you wasn't that hard, but believe me, it was the best privilege I ever had. If I continued being like that, wanting you, I wouldn't be different from that boy who was so annoying. And I didn't want you to get hurt, didn't want you to cry over and over again just because I left you. I've done really bad things and none of it was meant for you to cry."

Reyna was crying, tears falling angelically from her eyes. Nico loved her more than he should have had.

"I've changed much, haven't I?" Nico said quietly. "When can you go out? I'll treat you..."

Reyna smiled, letting out tears of joy from her eyes. She wiped them away knowing that someday her mourning and agony would be worth it. "Sounds great." She said.

"And no. To me, you haven't changed at all."