track 19: our song

Nico never had a perfect childhood. He didn't have the chance to do childish things like playing in the park, laughing at his own heart's content, teasing his friends, or even just having one.

Or maybe he might have, he couldn't recall. All things about a happy youth was close to non-existing when it came to him.

So when Reyna asked him a favor to baby sit a 10 year old girl — a roman demigod, an orphan. He honestly had no idea about the slightest thing to do.

And of course,
he couldn't say No to Reyna.

This is the time of life when the "crying-all-the-time" is gone. No more falling asleep at an instant, no more burping right after drinking a bottle of milk. No.

This is the time when the child throws tantrums to get what he/she wants, when they would use their pouts to melt your heart. This is the time when curiosity takes over.

"Nico! Are you and Reyna together?"
she asked sheepishly. Nico tensed. He composed himself. 

"No."
Was all he could say.

The girl's eyes widened, her mouth forming an o. "Really? But do you like her?" She insisted, hopeful.

Yes. But he couldn't just admit it.
"We're just bestfriends."

"Oh. But bestfriends don't look at each other like that." The little girl frowned, and Nico didn't like it.

"It doesn't matter okay?" He tried comforting her, the girl looked up at him and smiled, he knew it was forced.

"I think you do like her." The girl insisted. "My parents were like that when they were still alive. I could see it in their eyes."

Nico's eyes softened. "Maybe you're right..." He stopped to take a breath.
"But I don't deserve her, and I never will." He finished in a soft voice, he almost thought she didn't hear it.

But she did. And the girl smiled in a way that he really had to wonder if its really a kid, he's talking to.

"My daddy made some terrible things you know? But mom still loved her. I think I'm the proof of that." She giggled and came closer to him, hugging his legs. "If you love her then go tell her."

He grinned. "Fine, I don't accept rejection though." He said jokingly.

She giggled again. "She wouldn't. Would you make some proof too?"
she asked him innocently.

Nico's grin grew bigger.
"Someday."