track 06: sky full of stars

The cold thunderclap of the week was over. Reyna laid in bed watching the clock tick tock, her thoughts drifting away. She had everything she wanted, but here she was, all alone. It was always different, the way she predicted things here at Camp Jupiter.

She would have had a bright future, marry in the right age, even be the maid of honor for the others, like Annabeth or Hazel perhaps. She thought of how miserable her life had become. Was that the ideal reason she left? To gain freedom?

She was so mad at herself ... For the roads she mistakenly took. She shook her head, and reminded herself something she had once believed but has been forgotten — at the end of the day, it is not our abilities that define us, but the choices we make. Nico taught her that.

Nico. Even his name made her heart ache. Nico has been shutting her off, has been pushing her away. She didn't know what kind of game he was playing — but she was obviously not buying it.

She glanced at the clock again, it was 11:24 in the morning. She only had 24 minutes before she would be needed to attend to her duties as praetor, and still, she didn't feel like getting up.

Reyna thought of her friends at the Greek camp. I wonder what they're up to. She sighed. "Maybe I should pay them a visit . . ."

She daunted at the photo of her and Nico, the only decent picture they've had during that night. Reyna could now look back at her former comrades, seemingly how time flies and realized they've grown so fast. It's sad, that any moment someone might get married. And at some point, she won't be there to congratulate her friends who turned out to be fine young men and women.

She picked up the sticky note taped beside their photograph.

"I missed you. I was beginning to doubt if I'll ever hear your voice again." It said, Reyna immediately recognised the messy handwriting.

The memories kept hitting her like a tidal wave. "I miss you, Nico." And tiny drops of tears fell from her eyes. "So much . ."

Her mind drifted to their last encounter. Three months ago.

...
...

The Camp was swarming with Greek and Roman demigods to celebrate the New Year. "We really do suck at socializing." Reyna said, amused. Nico heaved a sigh of relief because after hours of mingling with people, he finally had enough. His friends forced him to interact with others, forced him to stay with everyone through out the event.

The final phase of the event – the fireworks show was finally over. He was now sitting in top of a hill, with no one else aside from Reyna beside him. She finally complied to his silent request to escape the festival upon seeing his annoyed face.

There was something so captivating about the sky tonight.  "You know . . . " Reyna started to say, her eyes fixed on the stars above. "My father told Hylla and I a story once . . ."

Nico stared at her, knowing how her family was a something Reyna avoided.

" . . . About the stars." She sighed. "When he was still . . . sane. It was my favorite." Her face was wistful. "There was two people who were madly in love with each other. But unfortunately, they can only meet once a year." She paused and looked at him. "Tragic isn't it?"

Nico was silent, only looking at her intently and that was what Reyna liked about him. He was a good listener. "... Being apart from someone you love, even when all you ever wanted was to be with that person . . Star crossed . . . that's what they are."

He didn't react, just regarded her with his eyes. When she finally looked at him, he was surprised to see her sad smile, and tired eyes under her strong facade. "Atleast there feelings were mutual, right?" She mumbled. However, in a whisper, after she looked away, she said. "Unlike us ... You're so close, yet so far." She said bitterly, pursing her lips. "Star Crossed ... that's what we are."

If it weren't for his keen ears, he wouldn't have heard it. Something inside him snapped. "No." He said through gritted teeth.

Nico glared at Reyna. "We're not Star-crossed lovers."

Reyna looked stunned. "I know." She looked away, crestfallen. "I mean . . we're not lovers or anything . . ." She faltered. "Nevermind. Forget what I said—"

He cut her off, his face was serious. "We're not star-crossed because you're here ... And I'm here and ..." He dropped his hand, looking away.

"We both feel the same."

...
..