track 02: fix you

Please read until the end.

...
...

There was something unsettling regarding Reyna's appearance. Her hair wasn't in its usual braid today, it was flowing down her shoulders and her back. And yet, she still looked stunning. But still, she looked older than what she should have been.

She crossed her arms. "I thought you were with Piper." She mumbled under her breath, shutting her eyes so tight it hurt. Reyna clutched the liquor in her hands like a lifeline, her hands were shaking and it wasn't from the rain.

Aphrodite must find this amusing, I'm making a fool out of myself. She thought bitterly. Why is she so delusional? She knew she should've learned her lesson already.

She needed to drink,
she needed a cigarette,
she needed his kiss,
atleast one of those.

"Reyna." Jason stared at his bestfriend and saw his life pass before his eyes.
"You're drunk."

She sits in the pavement, her hands balled in a fist.  Her eyes were wide, her voice was tired. Go away, go go go.
Stay, stay, please stay,
please please —

"Look at me. Look at me." She scolded, Jason did relunctantly. "Why? Why? What does she have that I don't? Why do you make me feel so inadequate?" There was this bitterness in her voice,
and Jason knew he would never forget this moment, every word she said.

Jason sighed, in defeat. "You're not yourself anymore. This ..." He said, disappointed. "Isn't you, Reyna. You're so much better than this." He took her arm, but she pulled it back and shook her head.

"No! You don't understand!" She screamed. "Have you even thought that maybe I'm tired of being better? That maybe I'm tired of the reputation you've set up for me?" She balled her fists. "This is me, Jason. I always thought you knew me more than anyone. But you don't!"

"Reyna —"

"You don't," Reyna snapped, cutting hi off. "Because if you did - you would've never left me."

The silence was almost a tangible, touchable thing.

"Please." She says, breathless, desperate, damned, begging and accepting defeat. "Please, just leave me alone; let me go."

"Reyna, don't do this." He said, his voice breaking, just like his heart. "Don't degrade yourself. You don't know how much you mean to me ... You're my bestfriend. You don't know how much it hurts me more when I know I'm the reason of your suffering."

Reyna looked pained. "It's always going to be like this, right?" She took a shaky breath. "Why? Why is it never me? Is there something wrong with me? Why am I never good enough?" She lets out a choked laugh. "Bestfriend? You left me, Jason. I needed you."

Jason pulled her into a hug. "I know, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Reyna."  He says, panicked. "Someone as imperfect as me doesn't deserve you, Reyna. No one does. No one's worthy." Jason held her as she wept.

"I'm ..." she faltered. "I'm sorry, I just wanted to forget ... even for a while."

"I love your scars Reyna Ramirez-Arellano. And I love them more than your smile. I love your state of being, Rey. Don't you ever think you don't deserve it. You do, so much."

Reyna didn't say anything, she didn't have to. Silence. There was silence in spaces, where "I love you's" used to go.
For a few moments, they stayed like that, with their arms around each other. A few seconds, a few moments, maybe even hours.

"Come on," Jason finally whispered, pulling away. "Let's take you home."

Reyna's eyes were still closed, she stayed still. "Five more minutes."

...
...

"Was this the first time you've led a guy into your room?" He blurted, just out of curiosity.

"No." She said, her voice sounding far away. "Don't you remember? We used to hang out here, you know. Until you disappeared." She sounded wistful, as she opened the door. Jason was the only one who could barge into her room, without her protests.

The two of them were inseperable, they were bonded. They were a duo. Partners in Crime. A team. Jason and Reyna. It looked exactly like he could remember. He stood still, as a wave of nostalgia went through him when he saw the pictures near her lampshade: photographs of them. Most of the pictures looked old, some damaged. Like she ripped them out but she couldn't let go of the only reminder Jason left her so she taped it back up.

It was as if — once upon a time, they were together; bestfriends who fell in love. But then, Jason disappeared and everything changed; no one got their happy ending.

"Goodnight Avila." Jason finally said, walking towards the door. Recognition flashed through Reyna's face. There was something wrong, something didn't feel right. But she couldn't figure out why.

Her eyes were heavy as lead, and soon she was asleep. "Goodnight." He said again, his voice hollow even to himself. There was this string that keeps on stinging into his heart as he walked away.

She did everything, she's done so much but he still walked away from her. She tried so hard but she could never be the one. For he was her Romeo but she was never his Juliet. It was their curse. The love that was bounded between friends and their mutual relationship.

Who was he to cause her so much pain? And so, he slowly placed a whisper of a kiss in her forehead. It was the only way to say goodbye — everything else, he couldn't say. Goodnight, love. He thought. I'll see you tomorrow.

Nico stumbled as he went outside, sighing in relief. He broke into a gasp. It was a good thing the spell lasted long enough. Pretending to be someone was not as good as it gets - but as long as there's Reyna, as long as her happiness counts; he'll always be there. Watching, looking after her. He'll do anything for her happiness, whatever it takes.

His heart ached;  every part, every muscle, and every fiber of his being. He didn't want to leave. But he had to.

"Come on, girl." Nico said to Mrs. O'Leary who was waiting for him outside. He patted his head. "Let's get you home." He said, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.