track 22: somebody else

Part II.
a/n: everything happens for a reason.

...
...

Reyna gazed at their newly accustomed home. "They didn't really have to add all thse expensive stuff." She shook her head. "I don't wear perfume."

"Since you think it'd remind you of Nico?" Leo grinned, reaching over his closet which was a few meters away from him. Reyna opened her mouth to protest, to defend herself from his truthful puns. But even throwing him a list of reasons why she hated the son of Hades, was not enough cover the jealousy.

She stared at Leo Valdez - realized how he changed. Now he was more mature, more responsible. But in a way, he's still Leo.

He was still the Leo who smiled at him,
the Leo who held his hand while Nico was away, the Leo who deemed himself responsible for Reyna's pregnancy - a child that wasn't his.

The Leo who promised he would do anything to bring him back.

"I know you, Reyna. And now, you're my wife ... It's weird. Although, I can promise I will never ever peek on you."

Reyna laughed. "You promise?"

"Do you doubt me?" Leo raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know Leo. You've spent years trying to catch a glimpse of my beautiful body." She was laughing.

Leo didn't answer. Either Reyna was playing a joke on him, or it was because of the alcohol she consumed — and no, there wasn't any. She wasn't permitted to drink for the sake of the baby.

No more Nico.
No more Calypso.

Reyna came from behind. He was surprised and immediately turned around, as for the first time, Reyna noticed him. She was so beautiful in her bridal dress, with her hair tied in a pretty braid. Reyna was the princess, and he was the nutcracker.

She unknotted his tie. "If you're having trouble with anything, tell me." The irony is how there was a seperate definition of trouble for her, and he couldn't enlist why.

She was perfect. Too perfect. He was afraid, the beautiful things are the ones that doesn't stay for too long.

She can't leave him. The moment he knew he'd be embedded to her at the wedding ceremony, his prayers all talked about how he would ask God not to take Reyna away from him. "Listen, Leo. There's something you need to know." She said, finally finished with his tie.

"The reason why I married is a very difficult thing ... When I first sought the others out I was terrified, I was pregnant. I stayed indoors, thinking I could never face anyone again. But you came, you showed me where to go. I knew from that moment, you were going to be the love of my life." She exhaled. "Leo, I didn't marry you because of the baby, I married you for me."

He stepped back. "Stop lying to me! You don't have to lie and pretend you're inlove with me."

"No," Reyna said, holding his hands. "I love you. I love you," Nico. "I love you Leo."

"Don't do this please, Reyna." The desperation laced in his voice was so real. "Please."

"It's okay. We're together now, we can start over."

"You're not ready," He could just say. "You have no idea ... How much I want to kiss you, how much I want to hold you, but I can't Reyna, I can't."

"Why not?" Reyna asked quietly.

"Because you're still in love with him," Leo dropped his hands. He turned, burying his face in his hands. He couldn't face her. He couldn't look at her and see the truth. "It's him right? It's always gonna be Nico."

"You have to stop feeling guilty about this – about Nico, about everything!
This is about us, I - I don't give a damn about Nico, because he isn't here! He's not fucking here!"

"You used reject me at every turn, Reyna." Leo scoffed. "Why is now any different than before? Why do I put up with it?"

"I don't know," Reyna said, truthfully. "I kept hoping you'll get tired of me."

"I am hoping to have you with me forever. I would have not make the offer if I thought I would grow bored."

"I used to think I would get tired of you," Reyna said.

"It scares you to think that he still loves you, doesn't it? Or is it something else that you're afraid of? Say it out loud, Reyna. Say it just once and it won't seem so scary."

"I don't have anything to say."

"You're telling me that no part of you wants him anymore. Not a piece of you might love him back."

Reyna stood, tongue-tied, utterly speechless. "What if he comes back? What if he takes you away from me?" Leo took her hands, smoothened them. It was like they were being punished: they were bound with a fate they couldn't escape, and what was worse is the fact that they were not to be together in the first place. Fate pushed them. Nature forced them to be.

"I can never live a world without you,"
Leo said. "I'll die."

Reyna brought her hands into his cheeks. This time they were alone, they were bare - no weapons, no curfew, nothing at all. Nothing could stop them. Nothing could ever pull them apart.

"I choose you." Reyna said. "I choose you over everything."

"Forever?"
Leo asked.

"Forever?" Nico asked, holding her hands. He didn't think there were any place he considered beautiful, other than a place where he could be with Reyna. Whenever Nico was with her, the stars would align. Always. Reyna smiled. "Forever."

"Forever." Reyna replied, like a vow.

Leo held her gently, so so so carefully.
He held her as if she was his only dream. Very slowly, Leo cupped her chin, making her look into his eyes.
He thought of Angels, envisioning dozens of them and Reyna was there, holding a harp.

She was heaven, and he was hell.
Or so he thought. He didn't deserve her, not after all the mistakes he made.
Was it ever possible to earn someone?

And then they kissed,
with Reyna's heart truly yearning for somebody else.