track 11: act like you love me

[ Before ]

"I'm your bestfriend. We've done worst.
The bad thing is how you made me jealous earlier!"

Reyna scowled. "I do not like him, okay? How many times do I have to tell you, I'm never gonna have a boyfriend."

Nico raised his hands in surrender. "Good. I want you all mine."

After a few seconds Reyna decided to ask Nico to go to sleep but the latter refused. Rather, he sat against the fireplace as if his life depended on it.

"You're supposed to be asleep." Nico said silently. She sat next to him, as if sharing his condolences upon savoring the golden flames lf the only holocaust.
"What are we Nico?"

"What do you want us to be?" He said quietly. It was a good thing he didn't meet her twitching gaze.

"You know, when you meet someone,
it's either you become friends or you fall in love with them,"

They held hands as Reyna placed her head gladly against his shoulder. "I think we can be both."

Reyna lit up like a blooming flower.
"Bestfriends?"

Nico smiled. "Best friends."

[ Now ]

Some part of her came apart. In front of her was Nico, confessed - told her everything she wished someone would say. But she shook her head slowly,
unable to comprehend his words. She avoided his gaze. "Nico ... I -"

For a moment, Nico looked stern. "All I ask for is for you to look at me in the eye and be honest with me."

Reyna's eyebrows furrowed together.
"You can't have me, Nico. We can't be together."

"Why -"

"Why!?" Reyna stopped, taking steps away from him. "Because you broke your promise. You told me you wouldn't fall in love with me, because friendship is the one and only thing that lasts forever. And always will. I'm doing this for the both of us."

"How come you're so afraid that things might fall apart if we haven't tried?" Nico said, equally frustrated.

Reyna ran a hand into her forehead.
"Because you were my bestfriend, my other half, my human diary, and I can't lose you. Love is weakness. I've been in there and it's one giant trap you'll fall for."

"You know when dad taught me that I never believed him, but you're right -
Maybe if I listened to him I wouldn't be standing here right in front of you.
Love is weakness."

Reyna looked away. "There is no us, which is why I was hoping you would understand! The reason why I'm walking away, the choice I'm living with. So just get over it, or get out of my life. I'm done feeling guilty!"

He took a step towards her, she took a step back. She was about to open her mouth, to ask him what the hell is he doing. But he beat her to speaking, his words rocking her core.

"I love you Reyna."

It took her a long time before she answered, and when she did her voice was calm and strong.