track 16: the sound

She fascinates him.
She's almost robotic; emotionless in her movements. The way she talks,  walks and lives looks carefully calculated, planned out.

He's drawn to it.

But maybe it's better this way.
After all, he gets along with artificial life forms rather than the natural kind.
And she seems more of the first than the second.

She intrigues him.
It's not long before he finds himself walking towards her. She turns and stares at him, almost glaring.

He's startled when he discovered that her eyes aren't as emotionless and cold as the rest of her is.

They're pained, broken, and tired.
They're as human as he is.

She's tired of being perfect, of trying to better than better. She's weary of having to keep her guard up.

And she's broken and pained with heartbreak and s-h-a-t-t-e-r-e-d pride,
all because a Golden Boy wanted a Beauty Queen more than he had ever wanted a stoic Warrior Queen.

But maybe it's better this way.
After all, he's loved (loved, what a word!) royalty before.
Still does, and maybe, finally someone will understand.

(Understand how maybe it was impossible to not trip and fall face first, head over heels.)

Maybe they'll lie together. Lie about love and best friends and being there first. And maybe they'll hide from the truth together.

Because they both know that reality will always hurt more than the worst nightmare.

(When you wake up, it's right there, waiting for you, and there's nothing you can do to escape.)

But it's all a maybe (or is it?) and the only thing that Nico knows for sure is that he's falling into Reyna's eyes.

And he thinks he likes it.