track 07: delicate

N

I was awoken by the faint sunlight passing through the curtains. I opened my eyes, and the first thing I saw was Reyna sleeping peacefully in my arms. I smiled. Nothing could top this moment; seeing the love of my life first thing in the morning. What did I ever do to deserve her? I brushed aside some stray hairs that covered her face.

I continued to stare at her, wondering how she was mine, how she chose me, how fate gave us another chance to be together — the odds so slim, yet it still happened. She stirred in her sleep, eyes fluttered open. "Good Morning." She mumbled. I kissed the top of her head. "Good morning, love."

She sighed, closing her eyes. "I should get up." She says, shaking her head. I chuckled. "You don't have to if you don't want to. You're on a day-off." She blinks twice, the word seemingly foreign to her. "You always pushed yourself too hard. Are you ever gonna stop doing that?"

She stares at the white ceiling. "Doing what?"

"Stresing yourself. You seem so good at it."

It takes a while before she finally replied. "Only when I'm too old, or pregnant and have a family." She hesitated. "I don't know, it seems I can never really turn my back from my duties, you know?" She patted her stomach, probably imagining a little child inside.

"Hey we'll have our family soon." I said softly, pulling her closer to me. But she looked down. I touched her face. "Hey, what's wrong? Did I say something wrong? Don't you want kids?" She must've noticed my confusion, she explained quickly.

"Well ... for starters. We're still so young, we both have so many responsibilities and you're already thinking about kids .. ?"

"Of course," I said, wistful. Images of me and my possible future with her flooded my thoughts. "I love kids, don't you?"

"I do, it's just I don't know what will happen afterward. I like my life right now. Once I have a kid, everything I'm used to will change and that scares me."

"Hey, we make a great team. When the time for a kid comes, we'll figure it out." Still, Reyna looked unconvinced, her expression remains unchanged.

"Nico, What if I become a bad mother?"

"Reyna, you're going to be a great mom. The best. If you can handle me, you can handle any kid." I chuckled. "Trust me, our kid is going to adore you." I laced our fingers together.

She looks at me thoughtfully. "How can you be so sure?" I really wish Reyna would give herself more credit. She's so beautiful, and its saddening that she doesn't know that about herself. "Because I know you more than anyone else," I say truthfully, looking into her eyes. "And I absolutely adore you."

She gave me a beautiful smile, and kissed me. When we parted she looked at me in the eyes with admiration. "How did I ever live without you?" She said softly.

"I ask myself that everyday." I say. "I just came to a conclusion that before I met you, I wasn't living, I just wasn't dying." I closed my eyes, bringing her hand to my lips.

When I opened my eyes, I met her gaze. And I noticed how they shined. People said, with hopeful hearts, that the eyes are the windows to our soul and I do believe it ever since I looked into hers; Her eyes shown with purity, kindness and spirit.

"Enough cheesy talk. Come on, Mr. di Angelo. Let's get some breakfast. I'm famished." Reyna ordered, standing up.

"No," I groaned. "I'm lazy."

"True. But I'm hungry. What would I eat?"

"Me." I said, grinning until she whacked my head.

"Okay, soon to be Mrs. di Angelo." I said with a playful wink, expecting her reaction. She scrunched her nose in mock disgust; but her eyes were shining, smiling. I hope, and I know, one day, all of these will be real. Whenever she's ready, whenever the time is right.

Reyna punched me, rolling her eyes. "Wow, that's so original." She said sarcastically. I laughed, pulling her closer to me.

That's my girl. I beamed at her. "Alright, alright. Whatever my girl wants."

There was something different about Reyna, something that makes her extraordinary, something that makes her stand out; something I will never find in anyone else. Reyna was the game-changer. The perfect plot-twist. I knew from the moment I saw her, she was going to be the love of my life, and I won't ever let her go.